Our sister sites
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 04:13 PM

Lupine dog harnesses

Has anyone used one of these?

http://www.canineconcepts.co.uk/item...harness---dogs

I have been using a halti harness on Tonks and it has been excellent, stopping the pulling and calming her.

Her training on not pulling on a flat collar is really coming on but i was wondering about getting a lupine harness as i feel it would be easier for other people to put on. Every time she gets looked after by anyone else i have to dig out the instruction leaflet for the halti harness!

I see that the lupine harness also has a O ring on the front of the chest which i could attach a lead to, as this seems to be the thing that stops Tonks pulling.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 04:39 PM
Looks the same as Kismet's rogs harness... Doesn't do anything to stop her pulling though, actually allows her to pull harder

Don't know about attaching a lead to the loop at the front, haven't tried that, it's not sort of built to work that way. I do put the halti head collar on and clip the bottom to that ring.. I don't have a picture of this though... I'll see if i can tae one.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
Looks the same as Kismet's rogs harness... Doesn't do anything to stop her pulling though, actually allows her to pull harder

Don't know about attaching a lead to the loop at the front, haven't tried that, it's not sort of built to work that way. I do put the halti head collar on and clip the bottom to that ring.. I don't have a picture of this though... I'll see if i can tae one.
I see, that hasn't helped has it! I was hoping at Tonks is already getting the idea of not pulling that it would be ok with lead attached to front ring. She will even walk nicely with just a lead slung round her shoulders, as long it is her shoulders that are being directed/restrained rather than her neck. As soon as it is her neck she wants to pull.

I will be having her on a long lunge reign when she is in season and would prefer to have this on a harness rather then a collar.....incase she starts to run and hurts her neck.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 05:13 PM
I'm just off for our walk now. I'll try clipping the lead to the ring at the front and see how that goes. I'll post pictures if it works....
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 05:25 PM
Originally Posted by magpye View Post
I'm just off for our walk now. I'll try clipping the lead to the ring at the front and see how that goes. I'll post pictures if it works....
Oooo scientific trials!! good luck.... i'm waiting to hear with interest!

Enjoy your walk.
magpye
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Right... just came back from our walk...
No you cant attach the lead to the front ring.. It does this:

when she tried to run after pharaoh it actually picked up that front leg and looked quite painful... I didn't get a good photo of using the harness in combo with the halti, but I got a sort of blurry one as she was mid pull...

This seems to work the best for us, but I am trying hard not to break her of the habit of pulling in the harness in case we decide to do bikejoring with her, so wanted a way of walking her without pulling that wouldn't put her off pulling completely... if that makes sense...
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 08:28 PM
Ahhh - well thank you for the results!

Maybe a halti harness would work for her then. If you attach the lead to the chest strap it is supposed to stop them pulling (and does with Tonks) but if you attach the lead to the top ring it makes them pull. Something to do with the dogs natural instincts when pressure is applied to different parts of their body. I suppose the pressure from the front would feel completly different to the pressure from the harness you would use when you wanted her to pull.

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/halti-harness.php
janie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 08:58 PM
the best harness for pullers is the premier easywalk harness.. where the d-ring is at the front.. it pulls the dog sides ways when they try to pull..

Here`s a video i took a while back, of Freya wearing it.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 09:03 PM
Oooo i couldn't get the link to work
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-08-2008, 09:07 PM
JUst googled it and it looks good, very similar to the halti harness but looks simpler to use. The halti harness has to be attached to the dogs collar too. OH's mum looks after Tonks now and again and she finds the Halti harness impossible to put on. ;(
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >