Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2008, 03:03 PM

hydrotherapy for dogs

HI!

My dog has a mild form of arthritis and after talking to my vet I decided I want to ty hydrotherapy for dogs. He likes to swimm anyway but obviously that isn't possible in colder months.
I am looking for hydrotherpy around MK and already found 3 very near where I am curently staying. I want to try hydrotherapy straight away tho I know I will have to change it in a month when I move.
Anyway here is a question.
I am a bit confused (well that's an understatement) about what to look for when deciding which hydrotherapy you go to...
I mean I know there is ICAT certification and association of the canine hydrotherapy but are there any others- which ones. Which are the best?
What qualification should people working in hydrotherpy have so that it is safe for the dog / cause I know that dogs could also get hurt if it isn't done properly?
Please help!
Nippy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Sorry Nadja, I can't help but I hope the hydrotherapy helps your doggy.
Mo would have a heart attack as soon as she saw the water
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2008, 03:14 PM
well - mine loves water and is harder to keep him out than in
I just really don't know what to watch out for. I don't want to go to someone who doesn't have a proper qualification, you know...
I just hope someone on here has some experience with that and will know the answer or at least who to ask. Cause if I ask the pool owner they will of course say they are the best...
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 03:27 PM
I'm embarrased to say that even though I use hydro regularly for my dogs, I don't know what qualifications they should have.

I chose mine on recommendations.

Most hydrotherapists will only see a dog with the vets approval so perhaps start with your vet and find out whether there is one that he can particularly recommend (or if not, whether any of his clients may be able to give you recommendations).

For my old boy that who had arthritis, the hydrotherapy did make a big difference - but in fact he did very little swimming - it was more joint manipulation in the warm water.

Good luck in your search and let us know how you get on.
Dale's mum
Almost a Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 04:08 PM
I don't know if this helps but I know one hydro-therapist has these qualifications /memberships.

BSc Physiotherapy
MScVeterinary Physiotherapy

ACPAT Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Animal Therapy
CSP Chartered Society of Physiotherapists
HPC Health Professions Council
LittleLady
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2008, 12:56 PM
Originally Posted by Dale's mum View Post
I don't know if this helps but I know one hydro-therapist has these qualifications /memberships.

BSc Physiotherapy
MScVeterinary Physiotherapy

ACPAT Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Animal Therapy
CSP Chartered Society of Physiotherapists
HPC Health Professions Council
I agree and would like to add to that any person claiming to be a physiotherapist must be registered with the HPC (its a legal requirement) and it is easy for the general public to check that their therapist is http://www.hpcheck.org/lisa/onlinere...rchInitial.jsp. Usually anyone who has a degree in physio or a masters in a physio course studied and completed at a UK university will have automatic entry to the HPC. Anyone who isn't is either lying, was removed and is prohibited to practice, or has lapsed their membership and is unregulated and also prohibited to practice. Whilst I cannot vouch for every physiotherapists reputation, you are highly likely to find a reputable one as this industry is heavily regulated and it is easy to raise concerns to the HPC. If anyone is also associated with the CSP or ACPAT it means they have to adhere to even more regulations, their membership is completely voluntary but the CSP also regulates its members.

L.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 01:08 PM
Originally Posted by LittleLady View Post
I agree and would like to add to that any person claiming to be a physiotherapist must be registered with the HPC (its a legal requirement) and it is easy for the general public to check that their therapist is http://www.hpcheck.org/lisa/onlinere...rchInitial.jsp. Usually anyone who has a degree in physio or a masters in a physio course studied and completed at a UK university will have automatic entry to the HPC. Anyone who isn't is either lying, was removed and is prohibited to practice, or has lapsed their membership and is unregulated and also prohibited to practice. Whilst I cannot vouch for every physiotherapists reputation, you are highly likely to find a reputable one as this industry is heavily regulated and it is easy to raise concerns to the HPC. If anyone is also associated with the CSP or ACPAT it means they have to adhere to even more regulations, their membership is completely voluntary but the CSP also regulates its members.

L.
Hi Littlelady

Can you please just confirm - is this for canine/animal therapists - they site link seemed to be just for those working on humans?
Mattie
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-08-2008, 01:46 PM
I have 2 dogs doing hyrdro but it is at my vets, a treadmill in a tank but it has made a really big difference to my dogs. They are quialified vet nurses who have an extra qualfication for the hydrothapy which my vets paid for their training.
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-08-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally Posted by paw-paw View Post
I am a bit confused (well that's an understatement) about what to look for when deciding which hydrotherapy you go to...
I mean I know there is ICAT certification and association of the canine hydrotherapy but are there any others- which ones. Which are the best?
What qualification should people working in hydrotherpy have so that it is safe for the dog / cause I know that dogs could also get hurt if it isn't done properly?
Please help!
I regularly take all of mine to Hydrotherapy and one thing I would say is after having done your research, visit beforehand to make sure that you are happy with the setup. I personally would want to make sure that they are members of the CHA (Canine Hydrotherapy Association) before I even contemplated going there.

With regards to qualifications, as far as I am aware there are no actual qualifications in Hydrotherapy, however the two senior practitioners at our centre are both hold the following qualification - Certified Canine Rehabilitation Practitioner. Two others are physiotherapists and hold one or more of the following qualifications - MSc Veterinary Physiotherapy & Bsc (Hons) Physiotherapy, they are also both members of the Chartered Society of Physiotherapy (MCSP) and category A members of ACPAT (The Association of Chartered Physiotherapists in Animal Therapy). They also have one practitioner who holds no formal animal related qualifications.

Hope this helps
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

07-08-2008, 04:33 PM
THX for all the answers
Now I at least know what to look for.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >