Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 08:34 AM

New Chickens

My mum bought herself some new girls at the weekend. 3 black rocks and a Bluebell (we think???). The bluebell is stunning and SO SO friendly!!! She is 20 weeks old, the other 3 are about 17 weeks apparently.

One of the black rocks has deformed toes. The guy said that was the 4th time he'd caught her for people (she is stunning so we liked the look of her!!) and no one had wanted her because of those feet! She cant perch on anything narrow, but we have big log perches and she is doing fine with those. I would have been worried sick if we'd left her as if they cant sell them i can imagine what happens So of course we had to take her She is lovely though!!

The pics were taken on their first day here so they were a bit unsure of us

Poorly toes...

halfpenny
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-08-2008, 11:44 AM
Our rhode island red cockeral has bent toes like that, I think it is something they are born with, initially I thought they'd been damaged when he was young.
Lovely birds, I not seen a bluebell before, very pretty, what colour eggs do they lay?
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Beautiful Jessica!

We got 4 chickens at the weekend so I'm just about to post some pictures of them!

Your post suggests to me that you are experienced in chickens, we're first time chicken owners so I may ask you if I have any questions, if that is ok?
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the replies!

The guy we bought them from said the chicken was born with the deformed feet and i think he was telling the truth as they dont look broken or anything and they dont hurt her. She copes just fine and is already laying eggs

The Bluebell lays normal eggs i think??

Majuka - We have had lots of rescue chickens before, but this is the first time we've had them from young. But ask any questions you're unsure about and if i can help i will
majuka
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Originally Posted by Jessica View Post
Majuka - We have had lots of rescue chickens before, but this is the first time we've had them from young. But ask any questions you're unsure about and if i can help i will
Thank you Jessica, that is very kind!

Ours are ex battery girls. I was surprised that they are not more scrawny but they are a bit threadbare, bless them! I never fully appreciated how fascinating they would be to watch.
Razcox
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 12:13 PM
I miss my chickens they were ace to have around the place! We used to have a small holding and breed rare breed poulty. I used to have a few Belgians, old english game, pekin and call ducks (apricot and Magpie) that i bred and showed.
ndidi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-08-2008, 01:03 PM
My mum has got three chicken that I am looking after for her. They are so funny to watch.

Where did you get yors from. We havea black star as well she is called dorothy. We also have a white chicken called phyllis and a brown chicken called edith. They came from cotswold chikens

Ndidi
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-08-2008, 02:05 PM
These came from a place called Morse Farm or something. We just happened to see the advert in a Countrywide store Lots of very good quality chickens and ducks and geese there! Oooh, and also something that looked like an Emu