Our sister sites
Our sister sites
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 09:16 PM

Murphy - attempts at a stand/stack

We had to lock Max in the house

If he wasn't standing in front of the camera (diva!) he was grabbing Murphy's legs from behind and pulling him over

(please excuse my scratty pants, top and trainers!)

I realise that I'm stringing him up a quite a bit, but I haven't yet got a chain/slip lead...

I did try to hold his tail up, but it's actually quite difficult, and he was really uncomfortable with it up (despite the fact that it does go up of it's own accord)

I need to get him to do the "lean" forward thing that I've seen other Boxer show-ers do
Shona
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 09:18 PM
awe im sure you will have it sussed out in no time x
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 09:34 PM
Great attempt!

Most Boxer people bait the Dogs. I have done a quick video for you, showing you what I mean, it may help you. You can see that Breeze's head can be bought forward by my hand moving, which is what you need. Breeze holds her own tail up for the most part, but you will probably find it easier to touch murphy's while he is eating! Dont "hold" it just touch underneath so he puts it up himself. Hope that helps a bit for you, and yes my pyjama bottoms have had an argument with my socks!

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v3...t=MOV00060.flv
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-07-2008, 09:35 PM
That certainly isn't bad for a first attempt! He really has grown up

Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post
Now that sounds familiar - we tried to get some shots of our youngest standing tonight (tried being the operative word ) and had to shut all the others in the house as they were constanly trying to play with him (and I wanted him to concentrate ).

I did try to hold his tail up, but it's actually quite difficult, and he was really uncomfortable with it up (despite the fact that it does go up of it's own accord)
I would practice with this, little and often, until he is used to having his tail held
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 06:29 AM
Well done....he looks great.
Just some pointers....I would firstly try to practice with no lead on so you can concentrate on the dog and not what to do with the lead.
If you imagine a rectangle on the floor you need to try and get a leg in each corner so get down to HIS level and while encouraging him to stand(as in Borderdawns video place his feet in position.
His front feet should be perpendicular to the ground and if veiwed from the front straight up and down and more or less body width apart.
His hind legs should be extended slightly out backwards but should also be body width apart.The bottom part of his hind legs should be perpendicular to the ground also.
Above all make it fun...a bored dog looks awful!Short training sessions also.
My main tip would be keep taking photos and look at them critically.Compare his stand with other photos of show boxers and see how you can improve.
skilaki
Almost a Veteran
Female 

25-07-2008, 09:10 AM
I know next to nothing about boxers, but he looks a lovely balanced dog - I really like his tail!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

25-07-2008, 10:27 AM
Originally Posted by IsoChick View Post

If he wasn't standing in front of the camera (diva!) he was grabbing Murphy's legs from behind and pulling him over

(please excuse my scratty pants, top and trainers!)

I realise that I'm stringing him up a quite a bit, but I haven't yet got a chain/slip lead...

I need to get him to do the "lean" forward thing that I've seen other Boxer show-ers do

Ok forget about the tail, it is a good natural position,

The video Dawn has put will give you a good idea of the position you need, if he baits and stays still feet firmly on the grown , have a go.... if not string him...

Here is a pic of 2 dogs being stacked and stung..

The one on the left is being placed, and held, but this lady is an expert , and knows her job inside out, the one on the right is being strung... if you do string, make sure the lead is right up behind the ears..(like pic) make sure all the loose skin is tucked on the side of the lead nearer his neck not his jowls... gives a much clearer line to his head.... you want the head up, with a good length to neck...

Placing his front feet, look a the pic.... you could put a ruler from the dogs shoulder right through to his toes...making a straight line.... look a the dog with the white collar....it will give you a better idea...draw a line from the end of the white to his toes.... you will see what I mean, you need to angulate is back legs..... dont try and get as much as what you see on the pic... those dogs are pro`s .... if you try to hard, he will feel of balance, and fidget.

When looking from the side, you he should look like he only has 2 legs..one at the front one at the back.... this means they should all be tidy... not one sticking out in front of the other.

Don't try and make your dog lean forward.... handlers dont do that, it may look that way but it is`nt... what they are doing is making the dog lift itself....(of its front feet) to get the best from the neck and head.... if you try to make him lean forward, he will move his front or back feet..... best to , when you have a good stand, to do as Dawn has shown you in the video..... getting his head to do the work.

If the front feet are to far forward, he will look like what we call "a rocking horse"

If you can get his tail up, do so, but you have enough o think about for now..

A good way to get him in a stand,,, let his stand naturally.. bend over him.. from shoulder to head....pick him up from under his chest... and let his front feet drop into position... you can then just tweak them.... when that is right.... just lift his back end up... from behind, (hand between his back legs) and drop that into position.... again you can them tweak his back legs into the position you want.....

Dont over fiddle him, if you feel you have a good postion, leave it....

Get him used to the command "stand" also.

The pics above are what you are aiming for.... but dont worry , for now... the most important thing is you enjoy it.... all the above will come... with practice...

The better you get , you will suss the best way it is for Murhpy....string /stack, place him or do as Dawn has shown you.. use food to get your stand....all dogs are different... some respond to baiting some dont..

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!
random
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-07-2008, 10:05 PM
I'll do you a vid of how I stand Madface if you like? With them being a similar size. It won't be perfect as she's been out of the ring for a couple years but will give you an idea.

What I did too was everytime she was standing about as normal, too just to move her back legs out and although she was just a wee pup she got used to it and even now she will 'pose' with her legs out rather than under her, off her own accord when she stands still.

When I was showing her, just when we at home and every time I petted her i'd also and quickly stand her, lift her front by putting a hand under her chest and sort of let her legs 'plop' down together, after a while she knew the drill and knew where I wanted them and then move her back legs out, tell her good girl and give her praise.

In the beginning it doesn't have to be perfect, just don't over fuss him, keep it short and fun and you will improve bit by bit.

He's looking fab!