Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 09:16 PM

Counselling?

Has anybody had counselling? How did you get a counsellor? Did it actually help?

I have no money so I think I'm going to speak to the GP but don't want to have to go through stuff dragging stuff up and making myself feel not only crap, but also stupid for feeling the way I feel if it's not going to help.

Thanks.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 09:33 PM
I haven't, but my brother has and he said it helped him immensly. He was having mental problems so his counselling was all referred via GP. I think particularly for people who find it hard to talk to friends and family (or for those where friends/family could be part of the problem) counselling is invaluable.

I didn't ask him to go into (otherwise part of the benefit of his counselling being confidential would have been pointless) but I get the impression that you talk about what you want to talk about - I don't think they force you into anything you don't want to cover....but they often have the knack of making you open up about things, if you see what I mean.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks Hali...

That's a great help.
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 09:59 PM
yes i have had a lot of counselling over the years, which was a great help. And then i did cognitive behaviour therapy and i have been clear of depression for five years!

Both were really good. Counselling does often mean that you drag all sorts of stuff up and it is hard work and can be emotionally draining but in the long term i would say that it is well worth it. Keeping emotions and issues bottled up for a long time is not healthy and, like a bottle of shaken up fizzy drink, they have to come out sometime!

Although councelling cost money, it was definately worth it. I had one excellent cousellor and a couple who weren't so good but you just have to find one that suits you and not give up the search really.

It is well worth it for the peace of mind you get once you have worked through everthing.
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 10:09 PM
yes - they do help - just got to find agood one

Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 10:09 PM
Hi Lottie

Im currently having counselling and although it may not be for everyone i think it has been invaluable for me. For the last 6 months i have been suffering badly from depression. Without harping on about it all i had a bit of a breakdown after Christmas and finally decided that i needed to see the doctor and get some counselling. I had been ignoring the depression which started about 4 years earlier due to an abusive relationship. Anyway i saw my doc and he was very good and helpful. He put me forward for the surgery counsellor but said there was a bout an 8 week waiting list. After 4 months i had a letter asking me if i still wanted to stay on the waiting list. So goodness knows how long i would have had to wait for an appointment!!!! Anyway i felt i couldnt wait 8 weeks so looked around locally for some private counselling. I found a counselling centre that was funded by various businesses and charities. I still have to pay but at a much reduced rate. They are excellent and i believe it has helped me far more than the meds im on.
I would say go for it but one important thing is that the counsellor and the client are well matched otherwise it wont work. It needs to be someone you are comfortable with and you need to be able to connect with them quickly.

You do talk about a lot of things and somehow they have a way of making you think wider and deeper about things and they can help you rationalise and work through issues. They dont do it for you but they show you how to do it yourself.
Hope this is of a little help to you xx
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 10:32 PM
Thanks guys,

Kristina, that's what was bothering me a bit... the counsellor at the GP practice is a man and that certainly won't help with the issues I need to talk through.

A friend suggested going to Mind - does anyone know anything about them?
catrinsparkles
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Mind is a national association for mental health issues.

You could also search on google for councelling in your area. Some places offer free or reduced councelling for different people e.g women's charities etc.

There seems to be one theory that if people pay, at least something, for their counsellign that it is more likely to work as they feel in control of their future.
AliceandDogs
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-07-2008, 11:05 PM
I think definitely make sure you find someone who you feel comfortable talking to. I've had counselling before and hated it, but I think that was 100% because of the counsellor. They'll only talk about things when you're ready and you can always stop going if you don't like it. That's what I did, but if I wouldn't rule it out again in the future. Like I said, it's so much to do with the counsellor you see, if you get that right I'm sure it would be great.
Kristina
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-07-2008, 12:18 AM
I dont know about Mind but i totally wouldnt have wanted to talk to a man either so i specifically asked for a woman counsellor. You could still talk to your gp and explain that you wouldnt feel comfortable talking to a man. they might have a sister surgery with a female counsellor they cold refer you to x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >