Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
SR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2008, 04:23 PM

Do Dogs get colds?

Hi one of my dogs has been reverse sneezing & the vet said it will be an allergy,
but now my other dog has started sniffing like his nose is congested & sounds slightly wheezy at times,
they're not coughing but i'm wondering if it's possible they have a cold.
SR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

04-07-2008, 11:09 PM
Nobodys dogs had these symptoms?
Phil
Fondly Remembered
Male 

05-07-2008, 12:32 AM
Sorry - can't be of much help on this one but I'm sure you'll get some help from the others.
CLMG
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

05-07-2008, 06:29 AM
I think posibly yes they can, when we took Jack to the vet with suspected Kennel Cough, I'm pretty sure the vet said, after a carefull examination, that it may just be a cold, but as Jack had coughed we should errr on the side of caution and treat it as KC, so from what he said, then I imagine they could, but maybe a trip to the vet should be on he cards seeing as it seems to have been passed on from one dog to the other, it may stop it being passed on to others HTH
AKitaChi
Dogsey Junior
Male 

05-07-2008, 09:07 AM
I would say dogs do get colds. I have this Collie at work at the mo who does this inward sneezing & her nose runs. They seem more like cold symptoms than Kennel Cough. I have also been told by vets that dogs can suffer from hayfever.
zoby
Dogsey Senior
Female 

05-07-2008, 09:52 AM
My Bichon starts off with reverse sneezing and then seems to almost leak from her nose and eyes when shes around the garden after its been cut.

Have you noticed it at certain times (after a walk maybe?) that the wheezing and sneezing starts, if so it may be an allergy.

I dont give her anything just try and keep her out of the garden for a while after its been cut. HTH
SR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

05-07-2008, 07:29 PM
Thanks guys for your comments,
they've never had this before & it is strange they've both got the snorts now & again so i'll visit the Vet & get them checked over & let you's know the outcome.
SR
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-07-2008, 08:20 PM
The snorting has eased but visited the Vet anyway as the pair of them had a bad dose of the runs today & weren't well atall so they've also picked something up bacterial in the stomach & he also reckoned that the snorting could be an infection going on rather than a cold as we would see it,
it could all be connected so 2 different antibiotics they're on & they should be right as rain in no time hopefully.
kcjack
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-07-2008, 09:09 PM
I think they can get colds
TalentedMrRiply
Dogsey Junior
Male 

09-07-2008, 09:18 PM
Not colds but instead flu blown man flu

They certainly have off days, look miserable and want to be wrapped up in the warm, which is just how we humans feel when we have a cold or virus.

So I think yes, they do suffer from some form a cold
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >