View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:07 AM

Decorating - this will put a smile on your face!!

We have 3 new bedrooms to decorate, and my oh has said lets go for something contemporary

Well I am a traditional girl at heart, and love rich colours. I enjoy dressing windows - even though it cuts all the light out My existing bedroom windows have what oh now calls "Punch and Judy" curtains....(tempted to post a picture - to give you all a good laugh!!!!!!!!!!! but I made them and I love them

He would like neutral colours, blinds instead of curtains, and the minimalistic look and to dispose of ALL my nik nacs

Going back to the bedroom I have a small very pretty victorian dressing table, which I adore - he said "it's old hat now" and to get rid of it!!!!!!!

So do I fall into line or ditch the oh and stay in my comfort zone ??

Any ideas on colours and styles ??? We have chosen wardrobes already and they are Cappuccino....
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:25 AM
Well I think it is all down to personal taste, which becomes difficult when you both like different things. I am likely my husband really doesn`t care how I decorate a room, he just pays for it lol.

I must admit that I am one for straight lines and not to much clutter and pale coloured walls for light, but I do also admire those very pretty rooms with fancy curtains and pretty bits everywhere, but I am not good at doing that sort of thing (not very creative)
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:27 AM
Tracy i would love to help but im not very good with what goes with what so i think i better say nothing lol my rooms are bare and boreing really but for what Nigel said about the windows i would say yes to i do like to see a window the colour of your wardrobes sounds nice.
Katiecoos
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:30 AM
Originally Posted by chelsea View Post
Tracy i would love to help but im not very good with what goes with what so i think i better say nothing lol my rooms are bare and boreing really but for what Nigel said about the windows i would say yes to i do like to see a window the colour of your wardrobes sounds nice.
Same here I have to ask my daughter to help out with colours and furnishings, she has better ideas than I do.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 11:31 AM
Well I suppose I have got my way All the time we have been together, so best I let him "think" he has finally had an input
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:09 PM
I think it might be time to let him have his own way now Tracy, go with the times, contemporary is lovely (as you know with my new designing!) it's clean, it's fresh, and it doesn't look cluttered, and it's soooo much easier to keep clean without all that old clutter! You'll thank him when it's finished! xxxxx
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:13 PM
have to say am not a clutter person and i don;t do nic naks!!!!! am sure you could paint the walls light and still have some of the furniture ??
youngstevie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:31 PM
Everyone different aren't they, me I hate clutter and not really into bold bright colours....unless the room lends itself to that sort of thing.
I like things to match though, contempory does it for me, we have blinds at the windows all through too.
Now my sister likes her frills............
terrier69
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:47 PM
I don't do clutter and knickknacks, never have really, partly because I go into a lot of elderly people's home which are full of them and I think 'Why have so many laughing leprachauns from so many seaside towns? '.
Knick knacks have a tendancy to grow into clutter, which then makes it hard to keep clean. I also never envy the families that have the job of sorting through it all when they die..... and I wouldn't want my Charlie to have to do that for me.

You say you've already chosen wardrobes? Are they in your style or his as I would imagine they are the deciding factor at the moment.

I also have to say I do go into a victorian/french chinoiserie style lady's bedroom, that is full of frills, cherubs etc, very very designer and 'homes and gardens', but it is very feminine (bit much for men I think) and also takes a lot of cleaning/dusting, but as this lady has her own cleaner it's ok.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Looks like I may have lost this one as you are all of the same opinion I totally agree the less clutter the easier to clean. Gosh all that time on my hands

Oh chose the wardrobes, and I really like them - very modern, and the colour really is a comtemporary feel.

So is that a no no for wallpaper aswell then ?? or accent wall only, and the others a contrasting tone ?

What about flooring, carpet ? laminate - don't currently have any in the house - apart from ceramic tiles.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >