Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
nat888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2008, 04:41 PM

Ideal Percentages???

Hi, whats the best ratio of RMB/Meat/Organs to give the dogs. Thay have 60/35/5 at the moment. Also how long should it be before i switch them onto raw completely???
Thanks
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-06-2008, 05:03 PM
The correct ratio for a prey model diet is:

80% meat
10% bone
10% organ

HTH
nat888
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
Thanks its just so confusing, as everyone seems to have a different opinion.
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 09:11 AM
With these things I recommend you look to nature. The average prey that a dog/wolf consumes is 10% edible bone, 10% organ and 80% meat (skin, fur, feather is also included in this amount if you are feeding true whole prey).

Billinghurst's BARF diet has much higher amounts of raw meaty bones in it; but what is a raw meaty bone? It's hard to define, one persons meaty bone is another persons bare bone. He also found that he had to add veggies into the mix in order to loosen up stools of dogs whose digestive system became impacted due to so much bone. (At least, that's my take on it. ) Besides, no prey animal has that much bone in it.

You don't have to go weighing out each individual bit; it's mostly done by eye. And remember that these percentages are a guideline, a place from which to start. You may find your dog needs more or less bone or organ; you can adjust the diet to what works best.

You will find yourself becoming fasinated by what comes out your dogs other end; it's the best indicator of how well the dog is doing on it's current diet! And amazed at how much less waste there is coming out the back end now your dog will be utilising all it eats.
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 11:22 AM
^^ what they said
for when to switch totaly - right now - best to go all at once then their digestion can get used to dealing with bone without the carbs slowing down the insides

I used to measure it all but now roughly Ben gets meat most days, some meat with bone (more if his poo is runny less if its too solid) and he gets organs about once a week/when I rem (also gets a full liver meal if I have given him too many bones and I want a bit of a laxative)
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 12:13 PM
Originally Posted by Evie View Post
You will find yourself becoming fasinated by what comes out your dogs other end
True true true! When my OH takes Bryan out for a walk I always ask for a poo report!
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 02:21 PM
Originally Posted by Sarah27 View Post
True true true! When my OH takes Bryan out for a walk I always ask for a poo report!
I know the feeling.
It reminds me of when the kids were babies and what they did in their nappies was the main topic of conversation with my sister since her kids are round the same ages.
Colin
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-06-2008, 02:43 PM
As a general rule I feed my dogs the following percentages: "40% Raw Meaty Bones 55% muscle meat 5% organ meat".

Raw Meaty Bones - are any item that has both meat and edible bone. Some examples of RMBs are chicken quarters, backs, necks, wings, turkey necks, fish, rabbit, ostrich neck, beef neck bones, pork neck bones, duck, pheasant, ox tails and so on.

Muscle Meat - is meat without bones. Boneless Chicken breasts, ground beef, turkey breast, beef or bison steaks, beef or Ox heart (it really is a muscle and not an organ), pork butt, lamb, deer meat, etc. Any boneless meat.

Organ Meats - organs meats are the liver, kidneys and brains of the animal. These should be fed in small amounts - especially the liver - as they are very rich and can cause stomach upset in some dogs.
Dilkara
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:17 PM
I thought tripe was also an organ meat?
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-06-2008, 03:33 PM
I feed green tripe as part of their meat allowance.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >