Our sister sites
Our sister sites
babydogues
New Member!
Female 

27-05-2008, 10:04 AM

dogue de bordeaux

Hi all, i am new here just thought someone could offer me some advice,

we have recently rescued a dogue from cruelty i a shed for 2 years! he has been to the vet had all his checks jabs etc.. but i am still wondering if there is anything more i can do about his back legs, they arebowed and dont have much muscle tone, he walks no problem hes not in pain but it looks uncomfortble, they are very bandy a bit like a puppy, he is 4 and still wees like a puppy, his temprement is second to none, he is fantastic, i have put him on a high protein meal, jst wondered if anyone has anymore suggestions?

thanks
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 10:08 AM
Maybe you could try hydrotheraphy with him, the water will help strengthen his muscles, as it is non wieght bearing.
Let us know how you geton with him, the poor guy.xx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

27-05-2008, 10:43 AM
Originally Posted by babydogues View Post

we have recently rescued a dogue from cruelty i a shed for 2 years! he has been to the vet had all his checks jabs etc.. but i am still wondering if there is anything more i can do about his back legs, they arebowed and dont have much muscle tone, he walks no problem hes not in pain but it looks uncomfortble, they are very bandy a bit like a puppy, he is 4 and still wees like a puppy, his temprement is second to none, he is fantastic, i have put him on a high protein meal, jst wondered if anyone has anymore suggestions?

thanks

Hello and welcome

Well done you for taking this boy on.

What has your vet suggested , a good supplement for healthy bones and joints is Glucosamine.... some vets will stock it.

This is what my vet recommends....
tp://www.glycoflex.com/glyco-flex-canine.php

You can buy Glucosamine from tesco and the like, but you have to make sure it is the correct strength

Hydrotherapy will help (as ZB said) but I would wait for a while yet, HT take a lot out of a dog, so they need to be in a good state of fitness and health (one step at a time).... speak to your vet, see if they will recommend one for you ..

You usually need a referral from your vet , before the hydro therapist will take you.
zoeybeau1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-05-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by Jackbox View Post
Hello and welcome

Well done you for taking this boy on.

What has your vet suggested , a good supplement for healthy bones and joints is Glucosamine.... some vets will stock it.

This is what my vet recommends....
tp://www.glycoflex.com/glyco-flex-canine.php

You can buy Glucosamine from tesco and the like, but you have to make sure it is the correct strength

Hydrotherapy will help (as ZB said) but I would wait for a while yet, HT take a lot out of a dog, so they need to be in a good state of fitness and health (one step at a time).... speak to your vet, see if they will recommend one for you ..

You usually need a referral from your vet , before the hydro therapist will take you.
Knew you would be along soon, it's your boy is it that had hydrotheraphy?

We used it for the horses to strengthen there muscles before we would go to stoneleigh.xxx
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran

27-05-2008, 11:14 AM
Originally Posted by zoeybeau1 View Post
Knew you would be along soon, it's your boy is it that had hydrotheraphy?

We used it for the horses to strengthen there muscles before we would go to stoneleigh.xxx
Yes it is, and I highly recommend it
Meg
Supervisor

27-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally Posted by babydogues View Post

thanks
Hi Bordeauxbabe and welcome to Dogsey
It sounds from your post as though this poor dog may have had restricted space and exercise and maybe a poor diet (causing a problem similar to rickets in humans) .
There is a possibility the bowed legs may also have been there from birth and that you may never change them.

In addition to the advice already given I would give very short but frequent periods of exercise to slowly build the dogs stamina.
You could also try massaging the legs gently, this will increase the blood supply to the area and may help with muscle formation.

Good luck with you dog..
babydogues
New Member!
Female 

28-05-2008, 09:54 AM
Hi thanks for your suggestions, he is such a loving boy and he is so loving and laid back x he loves swimming in the sea, we have to go in with him on an extentable lead because he just wont come out! His pads are also very sensitive and he prefers to walk on grass and loves the sand, his temprement is fantastic loves everything and everyone, he has taken to my other dogs not battered an eyelid to them also on walks people are very shocked by his size some people ask me if he is suppose to be this big!! i cant understand how someone can treat any animal this way, he has sores on his sides were he has been laid in his own urine, his skin is almost healed but not sure if his fur will grow back, also he weighs 12 stone at the moment but his back bone is still clearly visible, we have an appointment at the vets this afternoon will let you all know how we get on ! xx
Janet M
Dogsey Junior
Female 

28-05-2008, 10:11 AM
I agree with you, how can anybody treat any animal that way, you are so lucky that he is so laid back and friendly and good on you for giving him such a loving home he is also a lucky dog. Hope all goes well at the vet.
babydogues
New Member!
Female 

28-05-2008, 10:33 AM
Thank you xx
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-05-2008, 11:05 AM
Welcome to Dogsey and well done you for taking your new doglet on. I'm sure given time you won't recognise him.

((Big Hugs))

Heidi
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >