Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2005, 09:41 AM

And I thought MY boys were fat........

I think I posted a thread about how Kali and Snorri were a wee bit on the podgy side (winter padding???) and that they were on a diet - which is working, BTW - they were about 4 kilos overweight

Yesterday, we had a visit from our friend Maggi, and her boy, Jacob (yet another member of the gang of brothers). Talk about chubby He made our Boys look almost skeletal!

He's a really lovely little (?) chap (and he's epileptic, like Snorri), but I think Maggi is going to have to "take him in hand" to get him down to a healthy size!

Podgy Jacob, yesterday

Snorri
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 09:43 AM
Wow he has stored plenty over the winter months hasn't he
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Yes, I think he could do with some "airbrushing" treatment for his next photoshoot! Lol!
Gems
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 02:56 PM
Oh dear!! looking just a tad podgy!
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 03:20 PM
What a shame, all that extra pressure on his body, I really think having a dog this fat (unless he has a medical problem resulting in weight gain in which case it is nobody's fault) is just as cruel as underfeeding a dog, very sad . Is his size anything to do with the drugs for the epilepsy?
bellaluna
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 03:26 PM
oh dear. That a bit much isnt it? Poor Jacob
Moli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Bonnie dog...shame he is so podgey...can't be doing him any good...
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

09-04-2005, 09:24 PM
Originally Posted by Laura
Is his size anything to do with the drugs for the epilepsy?
Admittedly, this is a possibility, but he's on the same medication for the epilepsy as his brother (my Snorri), which makes it less likely (but doesn't rule it out). I've seen him overpadded before, then OK again, then O/W, then OK before - just never quite so "wide" as he is at the moment. I think that it's the result of too much in the dinnerbowl during a period when he's less active! My concern (because I'm very fond of him, even if he's not mine) is that as he ages (he's 9) he will become less able to lose the excess during the spring, summer and autumn.

My own "Boys" are overweight, too (particularly Snorri) but nowhere near as much! Kali is the heavier, but he's built like the proverbial brick outhouse anyway, and can carry a little extra (he's 11) - he lost 700 gm over the last 3 weeks. Snorri is normally a much more lithe doggie, lighter in build (lost 500 gm in 6 weeks). Jacob is somewhere between the two build-wise, and shouldn't be anything like the size he is

And she's thinking of showing him - albeit at local Agric shows only!

I dunno........
Snorri
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-04-2005, 09:57 PM
My comments were not meant to be sarcastic (hope they did not come accross like that - typical scot have a way with words) Just in my opinion overfeeding is as bad as undefeeding.

My dog Kip put on 2.5Kg in the last year yet her exercise has been uped and her food as usual *i am fickle about food* so she kept gaining weight and there was me lecturing owners about overfeeding and I had one dog like a beanpole and one like a sumo lol. Well it turned out she had an underactive thyroid, she is getting tablets now but too far away from what I believe a healthy dog should be!