Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 01:39 PM

Skin Tag Removed - Hair Growth

Roxy had a skin tag removed on Thursday morning. It was a wart-like thing about the size of a small finger nail. It sat where her collar does and I was concerned that it would catch on her collar, or when she and Molly were playfighting so I, and the vet, thought it was best to remove it.

A couple of weeks ago, the top third off it came of when I was stroking her and it looked quite red, though it didn't bleed.

She now has a wee shaved square on the back of her neck, along with three stitches. She goes back on Thursday for a check up and to have the stitches removed.

What I would like to to know is that when she has her stitches out and when her wound has healed, is there anything I can do to encourage quicker hair growth in that area? The area where the hair was shaved is mostly white.

Any advice, hints or tips would be much appreciated.

Thanks a lot.
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 01:52 PM
Not sure of anything to encourage faster growth but we have always used moisturiser on the areas to keep the skin soft and supple. It makes it easier for the fur to grow back than it would through dry skin.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Heidi
steviesun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

11-05-2008, 02:42 PM
Thinking about skin structure I don't think there's much you can do to encourage faster regrowth of hair other than a good diet. Hope Roxy's doing alright after all this.
Lionhound
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Hope she is OK after her op. Gentle (((hugs))) for your wee girl
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by Fliggle View Post
Not sure of anything to encourage faster growth but we have always used moisturiser on the areas to keep the skin soft and supple. It makes it easier for the fur to grow back than it would through dry skin.

Sorry I can't be more help.

Heidi
No problem. Thank you for the tip of applying moisturiser, I'll do that. It can't do any harm.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 04:18 PM
Originally Posted by steviesun View Post
Thinking about skin structure I don't think there's much you can do to encourage faster regrowth of hair other than a good diet. Hope Roxy's doing alright after all this.
Thanks. She has a good diet so hopefully that'll help it grow in nicely! The white hair around her neck is a good feature of hers, I think, so that's why I'm hoping it'll hurry up and grow in! She's doing just fine!

Originally Posted by Lionhound View Post
Hope she is OK after her op. Gentle (((hugs))) for your wee girl
Thank you. She's absolutely fine! The day after she was a bit slow and she had my granpa carry her up the hill on the way back home after their walk! She's bouncing about like a nutter again! Trying to keep her out of the water when we go for a walk is murder, and I don't want to keep her on lead for a week. The only time I have to stop her is when she wants a playfight, poor wee soul, she'll be wondering why she's not allowed!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 07:04 PM
Think the answer is the blunt one, no. It will grow back but in it's own time. Do you have a problem with this sq inch, I mean are you worried about sun burn of something?
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

11-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
Think the answer is the blunt one, no. It will grow back but in it's own time. Do you have a problem with this sq inch, I mean are you worried about sun burn of something?
I just wondered if there was anything I could do to encourage growth, that was all. I don't have a problem with it. Yes, sun burn had crossed my mind and I did put a spot of suncream around the wound, just in case. I even thought about putting a bandanna around her neck but then decided against it as I think it'll heal quicker in the sun and fresh air, well that's what I thought anyway. I also don't like having a big chunk out of her mane, but it isn't a problem.