Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Heidi987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

13-04-2008, 05:42 PM

fleas

need some advice,could you please tell me what products are good for getting rid of fleas we hae used frontline spray but heidi seems to go hypo with it and can you please tell me if you can get it on the internet.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2008, 05:55 PM
You will need to treat your home with a spay like Gentifirix or Zodiac (smells better)...about 1 or 2 cans per home once a year or so, as 95% of flea eggs and larvae are in the home, not on the dog . (This can be millions of eggs in a short time). Then treat the dog with frontline drops not spray....few dogs will hold still to give enough spray and its hard not to get it on yourself.
The active ingredients in both can and drops are potent but effective, so care needs to be taken. I use on-line pharmacies like Vetmedic and Canine Chemists and Vet UK.
Remember to hoover thoroughly and often, emptying the bag each time, and wash dog bedding weekly and put in sun to dry or hot heat in tumble drier.

I find if I stick to the regime of spray every 12 months everywhere dog goes, plus a bit extra for the bed, I only need frontline or similar for half the year (May-Nov). I would avoid wasting your £ on supermarket/petshop brands...buy from on-line dog pharmacies or vet.

Mary
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-04-2008, 06:36 PM
hi hun i use this site and its the one in top right corner.
http://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/departments.asp?dept=19

i have never had fleas since i started to use it 4yrs ago i have told all my friends and since they have used it no fleas, its a spot on drop but cheap, just not in the pack like front line is. hope that helps hun.
MaryS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

13-04-2008, 07:40 PM
That is the one I use , but only cheap if your dog under 15kg...if over need two doses, not one!
Active ingredient Permethrin, not Fipronil and apparently less resistance to this according to the pharmacist.

Mary
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-04-2008, 04:24 PM
See here: http://www.dogsey.com/dog-articles.php?t=20146
ClaireandDaisy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 06:07 PM
I use Stronghold which is absorbed into the bloodstream rather than frontline which lies on the skin because my dogs swim every day, and also because it does ear mites which one is prone to. It doesn`t do ticks though, but it does do roundworms. I don`t do the house because where they lie can be washed fairly easily.
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 06:43 PM
I just use Frontline Spot On Combo on my two occasionally. They've both been fine with it and I've never had to use anything else along with it, like household sprays, because they've never had fleas apart from when Molly was a pup. She had caught a few fleas on her back that she had picked up from the neighbours cats who go galavanting! Touch wood neither dogs have had any fleas on them since!
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-04-2008, 07:23 PM
I use Advantage - it's a bit expensive but does loads of things including worms and other parasites.

Not sure if you can get it online though.

When you spray your house, don't forget your curtains and do your car as well.
angied
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-04-2008, 07:56 PM
i give mine garlic fleas and ticks hate it and it works
Heidi987
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-04-2008, 10:50 PM
thank you for all your help and advice