Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

16-05-2008, 07:30 PM

Stopping a dog digging

Has anyone got any ideas how i can stop my JRx digging, don't mind him digging up the lawn in the garden but i think the local authority might be a bit upset if they find him digging holes in their field, have tried water pistol and rattle bottles have no effect, he runs after his frizby and takes it back to a different hole each time, i asked a trainer at dog training, but the answer i got was take his shovel away.
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Sorry, no I don't, it is what dogs do particularly terrier types, mind you mine are able to dig holes deep enough to disappear down and they are hounds.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 07:46 PM
Poo

Put his poo in the holes he digs, or a balloon and cover slightly with dirt. It usually works as they won't dig their own poo or will be worried about the earth exploding
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
Poo

Put his poo in the holes he digs, or a balloon and cover slightly with dirt. It usually works as they won't dig their own poo or will be worried about the earth exploding
LOL he can't go planting poo all over the local rec.
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Originally Posted by Pita View Post
LOL he can't go planting poo all over the local rec.
No, but usually if it's done in the garden at home, the dog doesnt' know 'where' the poo will be and it stops them elsewhere too
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

16-05-2008, 08:05 PM
No, but usually if it's done in the garden at home, the dog doesnt' know 'where' the poo will be and it stops them elsewhere too
Do you know I really don't think it would work with mine. Think they would smell the poo and just dig a foot to one side, sure if they can smell a biscuit from half a mile away sorting out a poo type booby trapped hole would be no problem at all.

However everything is worth a try so give it a go, save you wondering where to put the poo anyway.
myshell
Dogsey Senior
Female 

16-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Poo

That is classic must try it .
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

16-05-2008, 10:38 PM
Hi Janitor i'm afraid digging is normal behaviour for dogs (though some dig more than others) and it is difficult to stop normal behaviour.
One solution is to give your dog a place to dig, a sand pit (or a child's paddling pool full of sand) makes a good digging site and bury a few to biscuits or a toy there as encouragement . Whenever you find him digging in the wrong place move him to the sand pit and praise him when he digs there
Sarah27
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-05-2008, 12:07 PM
I'd rather my dog digs in the council's field than in my garden They don't care if it's full of broken glass and dog poo, why should I care if my dog digs a few holes????

He likes digging in the mole hills
janitor
Dogsey Junior
Male 

17-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Thank you all, i think i will give the sand pit idea a go, normally i wouldn't worry but the people down the road have already had the council out to the old chap finding lost money with his metal detector, so i think we will be next if they find out which dog it is making the craters.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >