View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Spacemonkey
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2008, 03:07 PM

How can i stop my puppy pooing at night?

Hi

I have a 6 month old bulldog pup who i thought was housetrained until recently... Just lately he has started weeing and pooing during the night... He was never trained with a crate and has been no problem until the past 3 weeks or so...Anybody got any ideas why he does this?... I make sure he goes out for a wee before i go to bed...
dollyknockers
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Do you feed him late of an evening ?
It could be one of the reasons for it,
Or has his routine changed in any way in the last three weeks ?, xxdk
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Could just be a laps that will pass or it could be a hormonal thing. Would ask the vet to check that there is no infection and if he gets the all clear then confine the dog to one room at night until he regains control. Or you could use a crate.
Spacemonkey
New Member!
Female 

07-03-2008, 03:19 PM
He has his tea about 6pm of an evening but never finishes it so i usually leave it down for him to nibble during the night... His schedule hasn't changed at all... He's got a vet appointment on Wednesday so i will mention it then... Thanks for your help!!
Pita
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2008, 03:28 PM
It is not that unusual for a puppy to have a laps just as children do and I am sure that it will correct it's self given time. Just try to make it less of a problem to the humans of the household by confining the dog at night.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2008, 03:33 PM
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
He has his tea about 6pm of an evening but never finishes it so i usually leave it down for him to nibble during the night... His schedule hasn't changed at all... He's got a vet appointment on Wednesday so i will mention it then... Thanks for your help!!
That could be your answer then.... I don't leave food down overnight... if they don't eat their tea in approx 30 mins, I take it up and that's it (bar the odd gravy bone etc )

If his tummy is full overnight, he'll have to empty it out somewhere.....
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-03-2008, 04:02 PM
mine are fed at 5pm latest as they would go through the night so nothing after that time that is large. they get a deta stick or a few gravy bones now they go out at 10pm and are fine throu the night no probs, they all go then so nice and clean after
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

07-03-2008, 11:18 PM
Originally Posted by Spacemonkey View Post
Hi Spacemonkey I am not a fan of 'free feeding' it can cause all sorts of problems with house training because the puppy is eating continually and therefore will need to eliminate frequently.

If your puppy is not finishing the food you give him maybe you are feeding him too much .
At 6 months he is ok to go on to 2 meals a day, I would feed one early morning and the second around 5 removing any uneaten food and giving nothing more until the next meal is due. Also make sure he goes out last thing at night and is given the chance to have a sniff around without being hurried .I was recently speaking to someone who had the same problem as you and found they were leaving food down all the time , they did as advised and the problem disappeared.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-03-2008, 08:06 AM
Both Suki and Michael went throught that.
Take his food away about 7 ish, his routein hasnt changed but the amount you put down will have increased. Does he deff go to the toilet before bed or is he rushing to see you??
ATD xxx
Spacemonkey
New Member!
Female 

01-04-2008, 12:49 PM
Thanks everyone for your help... I have started taking his food up about 7pm and making sure he goes out before bedtime and so far so good!!... Thanks again... x