Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 10:56 AM

Thinking of starting Raw

Mya's had a dodgy tummy again.... I'm thinking of introducing raw but I'm a little worried. She's only 7 months, I would obv have to feed Freddie raw too which is fine he's 21 months.
What amount of food a day should I be looking at for Mya?
I've bought some chicken quarters ready for when I decide to take the plunge. Will she be ok with these to start with?
They are both very energetic does this mean I need to feed them a little more?

Thanks guys, just need a little support before I give it a go. I was thinking of trying it out Thursday tea time as I'm off from on Friday for a week so I'll be around if there's any 'fallout' from either end
Evie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 11:54 AM
Chicken quarters sound just fine to get them started on. I'm not sure what tummy trouble Mya has had, but if she shows any signs of upset on the chicken try removing the skin for her before feeding it.

Keep them on chicken for a week or two before introducing the next form of meat to them.

At 7 months I would advise feeding 2-3% of her ideal adult weight. This is a starting point and can be adjusted according to her condition.

Here's a few links you may find of interest;
http://www.geocities.com/havens_home/feedraw.htm
http://www.rawfeddogs.net/FAQlist
http://www.rawfed.com/myths/
http://www.ukrmb.co.uk/showcontent.toy?contentnid=7379

Good on Ya and Best of Luck!!
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-03-2008, 01:07 PM
my breeder raw feeds all her dogs and when her pups are first weaned they are quite naturally weaned onto raw by their mothers. Before they go to their new homes my breeder weans them on to a kibble because lots of people won't or can't or don't want to feed raw. So when I got my 2 they were on kibble, I changed them back onto raw within a few weeks, having taken loads of advice on here as well. So they were back on raw feeding by about 5 months old and they have never looked back. they are now 2 and I was looking at their coats today and they are so thick and glossy and soft, their teeth are white, their breath doesn't smell and you don't get that 'doggy' smell with raw fed dogs because it is caused by fermenting yeast contained within the carbohydrate used in kibble. Mine have pureed veg as well with their food, about a desertspoonful with each meal, when they were baby Norties they loved all fruit and veg, now they are little more discerning and like bananas and carrots mainly. You need to puree the fruit and veg because a dog's digestive system can't break down cellulose so it will just come out the other end in one piece. My 2 do eat carrots as a recreational thing, but it all comes out in little orange bits in the end product!!! Talking of the 'end product'....you will find it is like little marbles, there is next to no smell, no elephant like dumps because they use virtually everything you feed them, very easy to pick up and dispose of. If the poo is too white then you are feeding too much bone, if it is a bit soft you are overfeeding or not feeding enough bone. So no need to worry about 'fall out' there isn't any You could also join Britbarf and Yahoo Groups, very informative and full to the brim of extremely knowledgeable people who will be able to answer any problems you have. There are a good few raw feeders on here, again they are always helpful and there for you.
horses01466
Dogsey Senior
Female 

18-03-2008, 01:12 PM
I feed my two dry food, and I havent ever had sickness probs
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 01:18 PM
Good on you for changing to raw. I'm changing myself at the moment, and the wonderful advice on here from the "experts" (you know who you are....) is invaluable.
The only advice I would give you is don't give up at the first hurdle. It takes a while to settle.......

Good luck!
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:28 PM
Thanks for all your advice!
I am very nervous but Mya's poops are either soft or watery so I've been reading up on raw and really want to give it a go. She hasn't had firm poo for quite a while! I'll let you know how I get on, on Thursday, fingers crossed
Fliggle
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I'd love to feed raw but Dingo just hides it around the house when I'm not looking and leaves it there to fester. It's quite gross really.
Fred&Mya'smum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Ewe yuk! I hope my two don't do this
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

18-03-2008, 05:17 PM
the food never stays in the bowl long enough for them to secrete it anywhere I am sure Lona inhales her food, you put the bowl down, feed Cariad, turn around and Lona has finished, Cariad, meanwhile delicately takes each piece out of her bowl and puts it in a nice pattern then each eats the pet mince in the bowl and then the ox heart and finally the chicken wings, she is scarily organised
Ben Mcfuzzylugs
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

18-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Good luck
Once you have gone about 2 weeks you wont look back
I would say your young un will have less problems than you expect
I though Ben had a sensitive tum - but he switched pretty much no problems
The only real thing I noticed that I believe might be worse for older dogs
To start with the dogs insides are just not acid enough after all that kibble so now and then they might not fully digest a bone
That is no prob for a dog - they just bring it back up and munch it down again (lovely eh??)
So dont worry if there is a little bit of puking - and it is nothing like as nasty as kibble puke - it really is just them reverse swallowing a bone (freaked me out to start with - thought I was doing something wrong - but now Ben can digest his bones properly)
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >