Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
paw-paw
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2008, 06:16 PM

scapula bone

I was giving those bones to my Sammy and he enjoyed it. I give him pig or sometimes beef scapula bones. He likes them best.
Do you thik they are OK for his teeth?
What bones do you give to your dogs (mine wont eat rawhide or any artifical bone)?
mollygemma mum
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2008, 08:24 PM
I give mine morrow bone form leg of cow,
They love it
steviesun
Dogsey Junior
Female 

16-02-2008, 12:28 PM
Marrow bones and other dense bones are the ones that can cause most wear on teeth (obviously the harder something is in relation to the thing rubbing against it, the softer material is worn away, simple tribology really). Ahem, sorry that was me in scientist mode.

I've fed scapula before but since I've not been given any in months (change of butcher in the store I go, after being closed for months). I'll just go and check the information I have about it's density.
I can't find the density stuff, but from some of the other stuff I've found (it's a bone survival experiment mostly based on survival after a village worth of dogs have had their pick, and these are dogs that survive on scraps and left overs as the village selected was one before modern changes to dog diet), this experiment suggests to me that scapula should be fine but don't be surprised if there's some left when they're done. If you're worried about your doglets teeth wearing then I'd go with the pig. But that's based purely on experience of handling fresh bone, pig always seems to be to be softer, the modern breeds anyway.
Archer
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2008, 05:28 PM
I've fed all kinds of bone from chicken carcasses and pigs trotters to marrow bones...no problems.