View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tara8t8
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2008, 12:11 PM

Advice on getting dog to sleep in its own bed!

I started off a very strict mummy, but as time went on i let the dog sleep in my bed (Im a push over! ) Now hes growing bigger, theres just not enough room! Does anyone have any advice on how to get him to sleep in his own bed?!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 01:21 PM
with china we just had to keep putting her back in her bed...it finally worked through the thick skull of hers!

is their bed near yours...

china had a foam dog basket but refused to settle in it so we worked out she LOVED quilts so she now has a single quilt folded over ass her bed and she settled a lot faster....
tara8t8
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I moved it right next to my bed, when hes chewing a toy he goes to his bed, but at night he always hops into mine! I will have to try just putting him in it over and over again! Thanks!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 01:25 PM
what kind of bed is it?
tara8t8
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Not sure what make it is, i bought it from a pet store, but its very comfy. I dont think that he doesnt like the bed, just that he prefers mine!
alexandra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 01:29 PM
he likes his mummy cuddles!!!
was just thinking if it was a plastic bed with a thin fleece blanket he may not be comfy but it seems as though he just prefers being close to mummy!
tara8t8
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Sounds about right!! Im just going to have to be tough, and keep popping him back in his bed!! Trouble is mummy likes the doggy cuddles as much as he does!!
boobah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally Posted by tara8t8 View Post
Sounds about right!! Im just going to have to be tough, and keep popping him back in his bed!! Trouble is mummy likes the doggy cuddles as much as he does!!
I know how you feel as my youngest Rott is such a honey and I sooooo love her cuddles at night.I know I need to get her into her own bed but those lovely big eyes get the better of me every time.My next move is getting a bigger dog bed for the oh,
Seriously though if I want her in her own bed I put her in it and she stays in it.She only comes onto the bed when invited to,xxxxxxxxx
suelaine9
New Member!
Female 

01-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Put him in his bed and give him a treat. Do this throughout the day so he relates being in bed with a treat. Once he's going in there of his own accord (in anticipation of said treat) then make a fuss of him. Eventually, don't give him a treat every time get gets into his own bed but do make a fuss of himevery time. Did this with my dog and he now sleeps in his bed, at the top of the stairs, outside our bedroom door quite happily!
tara8t8
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by suelaine9 View Post
Put him in his bed and give him a treat. Do this throughout the day so he relates being in bed with a treat. Once he's going in there of his own accord (in anticipation of said treat) then make a fuss of him. Eventually, don't give him a treat every time get gets into his own bed but do make a fuss of himevery time. Did this with my dog and he now sleeps in his bed, at the top of the stairs, outside our bedroom door quite happily!
Think i will start doing that! Thanks so much everyone!!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >