Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:32 PM

Wireless Router - Slow laptop any ideas please

Hubby's laptop is getting slower and slower! It just took him 10 minutes to get online with the wireless router. I never had quite such a problem when I used it last year, but we just checked the speed and it came up as 38!!!! My speed is 400!!! He was even in the same room as the router when he checked the speed? Anything I can do to help him out please before he falls into a coma loading web pages???! Thanks
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-01-2008, 08:34 PM
Have you tried restarting it? That usually works when the signal is low on my laptop.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:43 PM
It took him 10 minutes to get online just now, so now he's on Carole I don't think he'll want to try again! It'll be bed time before he can log on again I expect!!! Thanks for trying. I might go and see if he's done his cleaning up properly coz he's not very pc friendly
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
It took him 10 minutes to get online just now, so now he's on Carole I don't think he'll want to try again! It'll be bed time before he can log on again I expect!!! Thanks for trying. I might go and see if he's done his cleaning up properly coz he's not very pc friendly
Try doing a "system restore" Helen, the IP or other related files might be corrupted.
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Maybe there is a Robin stuck in it
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
Maybe there is a Robin stuck in it
Or she got it from a dumb shop assistant.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:51 PM
okey dokey thanks Nero, but he seems busy on eBay at the moment so probably won't let me! I'll do a big clean up of it tomorrow and a system restore and see how it goes tomorrow night then! Thanks for that. You're a darn sight more helpful than that Tracybird!!!!!!
Trixybird
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:53 PM
Originally Posted by Helena54 View Post
okey dokey thanks Nero, but he seems busy on eBay at the moment so probably won't let me! I'll do a big clean up of it tomorrow and a system restore and see how it goes tomorrow night then! Thanks for that. You're a darn sight more helpful than that Tracybird!!!!!!
or a sparrow hawk
Westie_N
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-01-2008, 08:56 PM
System Restore may sort it...

Funnily enough, we had the computer guy up today to connect up wireless internet for my gran's laptop.

I have wireless on my laptop, but it started running a lot slower a wee while back...turned out it was because I had two antiviruses running at the one time which was slowing the sytem down dramatically.

Also, another thing slowing it down was a lot of "stuff", if you know what I mean (i'm no techno geek ) at the taskbar at the bottom, right hand of the screen. Some of these have to be there, but others are just there as shortcuts. Some of the shortcuts don't have to be there as they are already are on the system. If they're on the taskbar that will slow the system down when it's starting up.

Hope that all makes sense!!!!

So, now my laptop is running much faster!
nero
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

24-01-2008, 08:57 PM
Originally Posted by Trixybird View Post
or a sparrow hawk
Oh stop winding her up Tracy , you'll get her started again.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >