Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 02:25 PM

An Overdue Brag! And Opinions Needed

I totally forgot about this, i meant to post up at the time but must have been going mad Anyway, at a companion show a few weeks ago, my Riley did the obedience (beginners class) and got 3rd out of 10 in the class!!! I was so proud of him cos we havent done any classes and i train him at home but he loves it!

The "judges" said that out of all the dogs in the class he was definately trying the hardest, although of course he didnt understand all of it! They said he would make a really good obedience dog if he had proper classes He lost some points on the group stay thing, obviously he hasn't done that so he followed me and sat perfectly next to me the whole time He'll do a normal stay, but gets confused in a group one!!

But i was just so proud of him beating 7 other dogs!! They were all ones that do it properly, training classes and all The one that got the best score was doing a "training round" whatever that means? It did everything perfectly But didnt actually get first place... Weird!

Anyway, do you guys think its worth me doing classes with him?? I wouldnt do much with him as we concentrate on the showing, but we always take him along to the companion shows and have a go if they are doing obedience, but it wouldn't be a regular thing.. I dont mind coming last as long as he enjoys it But the judges at that show were telling me that i really should take him to classes so i dont know...

Opinions please!
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 02:44 PM
Aww, well done Riley

As for continuing with it.. I think you should if you both enjoy it
Lab Gunner
New Member!
Female 

02-12-2007, 02:54 PM
Congratulations on your high placing.

I am a committee member at my Dog training school and as well as the obedience side we have the Ring craft class. From my experience many of the show dogs attend the obedience classes and this seems to help the owner/handler in the show ring as they can read the dog much better. Some of our members have attended crufts show classes and 1 lady has had best of breed.

It sounds as if your dog is really trying and needs his brain exercised some more and as he seems to enjoy this side of things it might be worth finding a good class.

Go and watch the class before taking your dog as some clubs take things quite seriously and after a while the dogs get bored doing the same old stuff. find a school that makes things fun and changes the way you train commands so the dog keeps thinking and wondering what you are about to do.

Also have fun yourself - Like Biggins king of the jungle said have a lauh at your self as that is what lifes all about.
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-12-2007, 08:47 PM
oh well done thats great news. i would go for it if you both like it go and have some fun and maybe meet some people that go to the shows as well you could all meet up and have a fun day together.