Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 08:05 AM

Kennel Cough

as some of you know when i got mu new addition on the 18th Nov he developed kennel cough (only very slight the vet couldnt get him to cough), so i took him to the vets to get his 2nd jab which he couldnt have the the anto biotics so both him and suki were prescribed 0.5 of a 250mg tab twice a day of CEPHALEXIN. now michael has got better i havent heard he cough in days but suki seems to be getting worse. its mainly at night and first thing she sounds like she is heaving and being sick. is the kennel cough or something else. i am booking in at the vets for Tuesday but is there anything i can do in the mean time?
Thanks
ATD xxx
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

09-12-2007, 08:54 AM
Hi ADT how old is Suki, has she finished the course of antibiotics ?

There are different forms of Kennel Cough the most common being Bordetella, it sounds as if Suki's hasn't cleared up and she needs another visit to the vet ASAP.

Info on Bordetella..

click here

You can try giving a little honey dissolved in warm water, it helps to soothe the throat.
GSD-Sue
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 01:27 PM
I usually give mine a children's cough medicine & it really helps.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 01:32 PM
I give mine benylin. I almost lost Spencer at 5 months he picked up a foriegn strain at ringcraft from a dog we'd been at Crufts, had all the ab;s only thing that seemed to soothe him was benylin. Hope Sukis feeling better xxxx
DaVinci
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2007, 03:44 PM
Please do not use any over the counter HUMAN medication on your dog. I would use the honey in warm water and maybe set a vaporizer where she is sleeping. Kennel cough can take up to 10 weeks to get rid of. I'm sending good thouhgts up for Suki.
ATD
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 04:25 PM
she is 16 months she has finished her anitbiotics, i will get her in on tuesday, she is running around now and doest look ill, its only at night, could it be an allergy say dust so when she lies it settles and makes it worse?
ATD xxx
sjpurt
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 04:28 PM
hi it does sound like you wil need another course of meds, but if you dont have any left then cough meds fine as i spoke to my vet about this when 1 of my dogs got and could not gt into her for a week you give a 5ml dose 4 times aday. if a pup i would say half the does but its fine to give hun so dont worry. let us now how you go he other thing is if the vet was already treating them a call to the vet migt be all you need andhave a chat he migt say he will leave some mes out for you so you not passing it on the oter dogs there. good luck hun.

my dog was fine in the day it when they ge hot it comes out more and when in rest i found with mine, you can only try hun.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by DaVinci View Post
Please do not use any over the counter HUMAN medication on your dog. I would use the honey in warm water and maybe set a vaporizer where she is sleeping. Kennel cough can take up to 10 weeks to get rid of. I'm sending good thouhgts up for Suki.
My vet knows I use benylin and is ok with it as it soothes the throat. I've used it for years with no ill effects and I've used it on a variety of dogs. I use a lot of over the counter meds such as asprin and savlon.
spettadog
Dogsey Junior
Female 

09-12-2007, 06:05 PM
Yep, I give mine benilyn too!!! It works wonders for KC. When Ruby was small she got KC and I took her to the vet. She got antibiotics (which didnt help!). I then was advised by a very experienced dog breeder to try benilyn childrens formula. it worked a treat and made her slighty drowsy so she slept too - and so did I!!!!! LOL

Annie
mo
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-12-2007, 07:11 PM
Keep the dog cool, fresh air circulating the room, no mad running about, and as mentioned childrens benelyn, this is the advice we give for dogs with KC at work.

Mo