Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rascal
New Member!
Female 

22-10-2007, 06:17 PM

Are we feeding him wrong?

Hi folks, we have a one year old staffy and have had problems feeding him in the past we think it came down to, diet,him being fussy, and having a sensitive stomach-we are now feeding him prize choice tripe once at night and he has scienceplan dry food for sensitive stomachs to nibble on during the day, (doesnt eat many) and a tin of cold dog meat in the afternoon (doesnt always eat that) seems to love his tripe though is it ok to feed him this so often, will it do any harm? He also loves gravy bones, and cheese for treats x
queenwillow
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 07:23 PM
:smt002 hello
all dogs are diffrent ,i feed mine twice a day in the morning they get dried food and then on the tea time i give them dry food with small amount of tin food mixed in ,it seems to agree with them both ,i never mix there food ,if they get treats then ill cut down on the food alittle ,or leave the meat out ,they never get upset tums and are allways very clean and look really happy to see the food come .i never leave it down all day mine eat it straight away ,i used to do that with my first dog ,but since haveing the two i have now i really learnt and have corrected things . the only thing i can say is you seem to give him a mixture there i wonder if thats why he dosnt or just picks at some meals and has up set tum ,just a thought im no expert ,the tripe might be better with dried food mixed in . i deff would make set meals at set times ,i seem to be getting on better with that ,and you can time when they need the loo (if you work its better) just a thought
SarahJ
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2007, 07:39 PM
The tripe wont be a problem ours get 2lb of tripe a day the puppy gets 3lb a day ( a lb is one block of prize choice tripe) if you're feeding him titbits during the day then thats the reason he isnt fussed on the dry food...
I've never known any dog we have owned to refuse tripe smellier the better
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2007, 11:36 AM
If he likes the tripe then feed him that twice a day instead of the tin and the dried. You can add brown rice and some cooked veg if it agrees with him and if worried about him getting all his vitamins give him a dog vitamin in his food.
rascal
New Member!
Female 

23-10-2007, 10:29 PM
thanks for your reply it was very helpful x
Malady
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-10-2007, 10:32 PM
And as for the sensitive tummy, the tinned food (80% water) or the gravy bones won't help
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

24-10-2007, 01:47 PM
Originally Posted by Malady View Post
And as for the sensitive tummy, the tinned food (80% water) or the gravy bones won't help
Definately agree here!! If you want to mix something in with the dry food then add a bit of normal gravy to it, so as it gives a better taste and smell to the food for the dog!!!

In my opinion, the stuff which goes into making the 20% of (almost) tinned food isnt good and shouldnt be fed to any animal!!
rascal
New Member!
Female 

26-10-2007, 09:52 AM
are those foil cesar type dishes the same x
garethb83
Dogsey Junior
Male 

26-10-2007, 10:06 AM
Probably...I know the small tins they do are similar!!

They put a "Healthy" look on some pouches / tins, but if you read the ingredients, its all Animal Derivitives....i will let you make you own mind up!!
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Originally Posted by rascal View Post
are those foil cesar type dishes the same x
Denes do quite a good tinned food and so do hi life. You can get them in Pets at home. They are about 80p per tin but have no additives and more actual meat. But remember if you change his food to do it gradually esp as he has a sensitive tum.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >