Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

21-10-2007, 10:45 PM

anyone used a non-pull harness

Ben is pulling like a train again, just as I have got Charlie walking nicely Ben decides to pull the other way
I have used a Halti harness on him but it really doesn't fit him very well no matter how I adjust it ,which isn't helping too much.
I have seen a Non-Pull Harness advertised and wondered if this might be a better fit on him.Has anyone used one of these, how was it?
Walking two dogs is proving a bit trickier than I imagined
chelsea
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 12:12 AM
I have a springer and he used to pull like mad someone said why dont you use a choke chain well i was shocked at the thought of useing one but then i thought i would give it a go cos i have tryed a harness and that never worked and now my spencer walks lovely.I dont know what dog you have but springers are a heavy dog and he needed to walk without pulling i am so pleased i tryed it.
LolaDobie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

22-10-2007, 02:13 AM
First tip I would give is, don't try to walk both dogs together until both are well leash-trained and have learned not to pull. The 2nd dog being along is always going to be a huge distraction, and trying to control both at once is just setting yourself up for failure and frustration.

For the time being, set aside separate walk times for them, and dedicate this time to getting it right for each of them.

Secondly, while the idea behind the Halti Harness is good (front-attaching, so that if the dog pulls, it turns him back towards you), is a good one, it is not the best execution of this on the market, as the front ring is not properly fixed, and slips sideways, which is annoying, and detracts from the working of it.

A much better application of this, which I can recommend is the Sens-ible Harness http://www.softouchconcepts.com/prod...e_harness.html
This one is properly fixed, and works as it is designed to.

At the same time, this is merely a training tool, and as stated above, the best equipment in the world cannot help with training if you have distractions, such as another dog in tow.

To use one of these properly, you need to take the pulling dog out on his own, and adopt a strategy which makes his pulling unproductive, if you want to nip it in the bud.

Clicker training will make this much faster and more effective, although it can work without too. Walk forward with the dog on a slack leash. If he pulls, just stop dead, and wait. What you want is that he moves back a little, slackening the leash, without you prompting. If he does this, reward, using clicker if you are clicker-training, and then move forwards. He should stay at heel for at least a short time, and this should be very promptly rewarded as well. As soon as he pulls again, repeat.

This requires many, many repetitions, so don't expect to walk your dogs together for a while. But when you do take them out together again, if you have this drill thoroughly reinforced with both, neither should be happy to move forwards unless both leads are slack, so walks should become a much happier and more rewarding experience for all concerned, and your patience should be rewarded.

A correctly-fitted Sens-ible Harness, at least for the dog you are having the problem with, should speed up this process for you somewhat tho.
elmac13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-10-2007, 11:49 AM
I know what you mean Pam..especially when they are of a different height. I would agree with the last post. I have a gentle leader no pull harness for Rufus the cocker. It is a nice wee harness but can't say it does what it says on the tin. On the other hand I have a normal harness for Sam and have been putting a lot of work in getting him to heel with the clicker and for a dog who used to pull like a steam train (and still does if he gets over excited) he does it pretty well. I take them out separately in the evening and together during the day. I will need to start seriously on the training with Rufus now. He is such a wee scavenger out on walks too...berries, twigs...is Ben like that?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

22-10-2007, 12:02 PM
I am now using the Premier Easy Walk harness for ollie it is brilliant he is 91/2 stone and I can manage him really easily with this harness and feel more in control and far more confident.Know what you mean about the Halti Harness Ollie's kept getting bigger and I had to keep adjusting his aswell.
pam2
Dogsey Senior
Female 

22-10-2007, 07:52 PM
Thanks for info everyone
I've trained Charlie (6mth G.R ) with a clicker and he walks really well on a normal collar and lead.
I usually take Ben (7yr old C.Spaniel) out then come back and take Charlie out, it's fine during the day, but it is taking too long on these dark nights.
I've tried Ben with a clicker but he went a bit deaf Maybe it's time to try him again.
I'll try one of the harness suggestions on him and hope he improves a bit. He gets so excited, he pulls all the way out on a walk then walks quite calmly on the way back.
Elmac, Ben isn't a scavenger as such, he is more a sniff every blade of grass kind of dog! The difference in height is really showing up now, Charlie is already bigger than Ben.