Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
miamoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 08:31 AM

Why wont she take no for an answer?

Hi again, just when things seem to be getting easier they get worse! She is now sleeping through 11pm till 6.30am, she is almost housetrained amd she can sit and come (when she feels like it!) The problem i have is she wont listen when i tell her "no" e.g off the sofa, chewing the radiator,off the chairs, off the kitchen units etc.
I mean i tell her off, she gets off and straight back on.She continues this over 50 times (i lost count last night). i pick her up take her to her bed and give her a toy, she runs to the nearest things that she isnt allowed and it starts all over again. I have never had a puppy before so i dont know if this is normal behaviour or not?
I end up putting her in her crate(not told off, just in with a toy) for some peace.I try to do everything by the book, I keep all her toys in a special box, she only has 2 at a time, i swap them a few times a day, why wont she listen?
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-11-2007, 08:37 AM
How old is she?
Welcome to the world of puppies you just have to be consistent with her eventually it will sink in.One day in the not too distant future you will realise she isn't being as naughty as usual.
Do you use treats?IE: when getting up at worktops tell her off when she gets off give her a reward so she learns she gets nice things for being good and nothing for being bad.
Others will be along shortly to give you more advice she is an intelligent breed so it shouldn't take too long.
Good luck.
Tee
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2007, 08:40 AM
Hi,

I have a 7 week old puppy who is pretty much the same. I sometimes have tell him more than once to get off the settee or to get off my jeans leg! It's normal as all they want to do is play and explore but it is important for them to learn to obey certain commands, for their own safety.

When Judah is being stubborn I get very stern. I have lowered my voice and sometimed growled at him when he barked and growled at me when I told him to get off the settee. May sound funny but it works with him. I use treats and praise him when he's doing things I want him to do as well.
ulsterbabe
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Hi there, the one thng to remembe is that he's a puppy and puppy's will push her boundaries to see how far she can go!! it takes patients and time but she WILL get better wih continous training
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2007, 08:49 AM
Give her something else to do, when you tell her to get down from the worktops tell her to sit before she can jump back up again and reward her as soon as she complies. I found it easy to get my dogs to sit while preparing dinner as they got so much practise at it. They can't hold a sit for long but everytime she jumps up repeat the exercise, she'll soon get the message.
With the sofa tell her to get off and remove her if she doesn't respond immediately, Try to catch her out as she goes to get on with a swift AH or OI which seems to come more naturally to me and immediately put her back on the floor. She's only seeing how far she can go, so if you don't want her on the furniture teach her now and be consistant.
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 08:57 AM
If you are not rewarding the behaviour that she does which you want then you are not reinforcing it. As has been said when she sits, reward her, when she get's off, reward her (make her sit first would be better as well!)
She is still very very young and I really wouldn't be expecting too much from her just yet. She is trying to find out what she can get away with, as any youngster would!
If she constantly misbehaves then ignore her, walk out of the room, break eye contact with her.
It's hard work but great fun with a puppy! I love it, watching them develop into beautiful adults!
Becky
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-11-2007, 09:13 AM
Also young puppies are like a sponge, they just absorb training at this age, it is never too early to teach sit, down, leave etc. they generally get the idea in seconds, they can't maintain it for long but that's where the repetition comes in. Try several short training sessions a day, a couple of minutes at a time is ample. Also training fetch really early worked well for me to, I used a soft toy in the house and Syd learnt fetch, where is it?, and find it, really quickly which now comes in helpful up the woods if his ball goes missing he won't give up the search until it's found
miamoo
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-11-2007, 10:14 AM
Thanks everyone, fantastic advice (as usual!).I am very determined to get to go by our rules, i never let her get her own way(as we have a very nice sofa/kitchen and i want them to stay that way!) I never thought to reward her when she does get down, thats a great idea(i will tell her to sit first).I will let you know how i get on, i have a feeling it will take some time though she is stubborn!!
Heidi1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-11-2007, 06:20 PM
Have you tried a house training line on her so you can gently lead her away when she is in the wrong place. Clicker training is also good, but it can take a long time for puppies to learn I know.
Wysiwyg
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-11-2007, 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by Tee View Post
Hi,

I have a 7 week old puppy who is pretty much the same....

When Judah is being stubborn I get very stern. I have lowered my voice and sometimed growled at him when he barked and growled at me when I told him to get off the settee. May sound funny but it works with him. I use treats and praise him when he's doing things I want him to do as well.
At 7 weeks, are you positive he actually understands you? He is only a baby puppy...

It's easy for owners to get into the habit of telling pups off and them barking back, and sometimes it could turn into confrontation which is hard to win and very stressful.

Train him to do what you want
Example: if he doesnt want to get off, lure him with food and say the "off" word (never say "down") and then reward. Train him to understand what you mean :smt002

Hope you don't mind me saying...

Wys
x
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >