Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2007, 12:22 PM

Toilet training problem

We have been toilet training our 10wk old pup since we got her (3 weeks ago) and she took to it brilliantly, letting us know when she needed to go out and doing her business in the proper place, but recently she has got weird. She sits by the back door as she would to be let out but when we open the door for her all she does is eat daddy long legs! She's been leaving presents in the house without asking to go out. We don't punish her for it but would treat her if she did it outside.
Can anyone possibly explain the change around?
catsta2001
Dogsey Senior
Female 

02-10-2007, 12:29 PM
Hector did the same. From 8 weeks to 11 weeks, no accidents at all. However in his 12th week he started to mess in the house.
I can only assume he is finding his feet and because he did it once that was enough!
He is good and does go to the toilet the majority of the time outside but there are accidents.
IsoChick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-10-2007, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by amykf3 View Post
We have been toilet training our 10wk old pup since we got her (3 weeks ago) and she took to it brilliantly, letting us know when she needed to go out and doing her business in the proper place, but recently she has got weird. She sits by the back door as she would to be let out but when we open the door for her all she does is eat daddy long legs! She's been leaving presents in the house without asking to go out. We don't punish her for it but would treat her if she did it outside.
Can anyone possibly explain the change around?
Murphy also had a spate of doing this. He'd charge outside with Max (who goes and toilets) and then run straight in again.

Both me and OH ended up chasing after him several times and plonking him back on the grass to wee etc.

I would make sure that you don't just open the door and let her out, but actually make sure she goes and does her business.

If she gets distracted by insects/birds/grass/anything, as puppies do; then make sure you tell her "toilet" or "wee-wee" (whatever you use) and don't let her in until she's done her toilet.

I fell into the trap of just letting Murphy out, expecting him to have wee'd, when he'd really been chasing a feather around the garden! A few little accidents sorted me out!
amykf3
Dogsey Junior
Female 

02-10-2007, 01:27 PM
We actually supevise her while she out in the garden and tell her to 'toilet' but she's more interested in bugs. Once she has done her things we click and treat/praise. We were walking with her to the grassy area with her initally but she seemed to be fine going on her own if we watched from the door so she could get her treat! I'm hoping it's just a stage as she's very bitey at the mo as well but it's understandable really as not all of her pup teath are through.
I suppose that we just have to be 'eagle eyes' on her!