Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 04:10 PM

PDSA

how many people here are reg with the PDSA.

without being too rude, this is an organisation that helps people with animals when they cant afford to pay themselves...right?

Now someone called for poppy, and i always ask which vet they are reg with (if they have another dog) and she said with the PDSA. would it be wrong of me to not give her a dog just because she is ...well poor? if she cant afford vet bills, can she afford to keep a dog? i am thinking not, but there must be alot of people who make good owners, that dont have money. but i have her best interests at heart, and it would tear me up if she didnt stay in her new home forever.
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 04:17 PM
Well as long as she HAS the PDSA to go to then I would not penalise somebody because they dont have the money to get private vet treatment.

I am not saying it's ideal but the bottom line is if anything (touch wood) ever happens then at least they have the PDSA and would not hesitate in seeking treatment because of what they have on offer for a donation. It's unfortunate that some people cannot afford vet treatment but I know a lady near me who has two westies (she is in her 70s) this lady lives on a pension and barely has enough for herself. However, the dogs are well looked after and well cared for she relies on the PDSA for vet treatment and they are a godsend to her.

I would say she is one of the better owners in my area, so I would say if your happy with everything else and satisfied they are able enough to look after the dog and feed it then go ahead.

Laura
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 04:20 PM
thank you that sounds like good advice.

donations? i didnt realise you do that...so you give what you can towards the cost? or do you have to do it reg. to be a 'member'? do you know?
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-03-2005, 04:21 PM
[quote="jess"] would it be wrong of me to not give her a dog just because she is ...well poor? quote]

Sorry but Yes is the Answer.
Roxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-03-2005, 04:26 PM
I disagree Russ. I mean iv seen more pups and dogs in rescues that were bought by 'rich' people on a whim because they have disposable income. Bieng 'poor' shouldnt stop anyone getting a dog, as long as they prospective owners can show that they are worthy of the dog. A dog doesnt need to have the best of everything as long as its loved, feed and exercised.
Russ
Almost a Veteran
Male 

03-03-2005, 04:29 PM
Originally Posted by Roxy
I disagree Russ. I mean iv seen more pups and dogs in rescues that were bought by 'rich' people on a whim because they have disposable income. Bieng 'poor' shouldnt stop anyone getting a dog, as long as they prospective owners can show that they are worthy of the dog. A dog doesnt need to have the best of everything as long as its loved, feed and exercised.
Crazy dogwebber
Re read what i wrote. IMO poor people are more likely to give a dog a loving happy home as poor people tend to apreciate what they have MORE.
PurpleJackdaw
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 04:32 PM
Its difficult ,but if she is a great owner in everyother way I dont think it should be a problem
I consider myself poor ,but I can afford to keep my animals and pay the bills ,I dont waste my money on clothes and make-up etc.
Some people with lots of money keep it all to themselfs and dont bother with the vets unless they really have too or worse
She might not always be in this position and while she is as long as the dog is going to be able to get any treatment it needs it sounds ok to me
mand p
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I totally agree.....there was a time not so long ago that we were going through a rough time and we used the Rspca for vet treatment as we couldn't afford it
So IMO Jess, don't be put off because of this, as long as you feel that Poppy will be Loved and Cherished, as Roxy said, money is not the most important thing
Laura
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

I think as far as I am aware they ask for a private donation you put whatever you can afford into a collection box.

I dont think money matters, as long as they can afford to feed the dog and as long as they can get vet treatment and as long as your satisifed they will treat the dog the way the dog should be treated I cant see what difference it makes whether they have £2 or £2 million to their name.

I mean look at the Osbournes, they have all that money yet those poor dogs are left to crap all over the house all day long or the bulldog to destroy things because they aint getting let out enough or enough attention even though they must have people home all day and their garden is huge. Money is no guarantee that somebody would take a dog to the vets either so just go with your instincts and try not to judge by the way in which they run their life (as far as you can not judge without thinking about the dog).

Cheers
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2005, 04:34 PM
yes i understand that...but do you see it from my point of view to? if she cant afford vet bills, can she afford to KEEP the dog. how about the best food, or will she settle for less than best.

i think anyone that can love a dog should be allowed one, its not just for rich people, that crazy dogwebber is right, the more money you have the more stuff becomes less valuble (including love and animals). however in this case i want the very best for poppy. i will check out the home before i make judgements.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >