Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:20 PM

Not eating!

My Potter is not eating very well at all at the moment.
She has barely had 2 meals since last Monday! I took her to the vets and they did a very thorough examination and could find nothing wrong. Her lungs, heart, abdomen, teeth, throat, temperature etc etc were all normal. She just wont eat! I have tried chicken, scrambled egg, cheese, rice, tinned food, tripe, mince and naturediet. All of which she turned her nose up to. She is drinking at least. She is still wanting and going on short walks and seems to enjoy them, but obviously gets tired quickly. I just dont know what to try next She has lost 4 kilos since she was last weighed at the end of January. Nothing has changed in the household and she does not seem stressed.
I dont know what to think or do! I am going to ask the vet to do blood tests at the beginning of the week if she still wont eat.

Any more ideas of tempting her, please let me know!
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:25 PM
Have you tried fish? Sardines are strong smelling; they might help?

But I wonder what has prompted her to not eat? It's not the heat, is it? How old is she?
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:34 PM
I have not tried fish! I didnt think of it! I will get some tomorrow morning for her!
Potter will be 12 in September. She actually looks OK and acts well. She just wont eat and is showing no interest in food at all.

Thank you for the suggestion!
Bizzy Momma04
Dogsey Junior
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Hello! Sorry to hear potter isn't eating right now, fish is a good idea, also have you tried tripe? Butchers tripe in a tin might work, my 11 year old girl went off her food recently again no apparant cause although she was occupied with a particularly heavy season, it was butchers tripe that got her eating again. Just a thought is all! Hope she picks up soon for you, the main thing is that she is drinking so is not getting dehydrated as well. Speedy get well wishes to you.
Hali
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:46 PM
Did the vet suggest giving her something in her water to give her a bit more energy? When Hoki couldn't keep anything down, mine gave me some glucose type sachets to add to her water, though I believe that many people use honey instead.

Re food - Kip does this from time to time (he's an older dog too), though I must say, he's never turned his nose up at cheese! When he is in a non-eating mood, it seems that the main thing he goes off is meat (and kibble & any other type of dog food!) but he does still like a little bit of pasta or even a little bit of bread & butter (all hand fed - that seems to make quite a difference).

Hope you get her eating soon.
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-04-2007, 08:56 PM
What a worry for you. Nothing more to suggest - sorry - just hope she picks up soon xox
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

14-04-2007, 09:14 PM
Didn't the Vet suggest a Vit B 12 injection. Nell, the rescue who arrived last Sunday is being fussy over her food - a farm collie being fussy ??? so when she went to the vet on Thursday for chipping etc, I asked for a B12 injection to get her going and it has worked to some extent, she is now packing away the beef mince and even had a smell at a dinner plate tonight! and Vetzyme do two sorts of "conditioning" tablets both of which are supposed to help improve appetite, and there must be others, Kath
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 12:21 PM
LS you are a genius!!!

I took Potter to the local garden centre that has lots of dog food. The only ones she would eat were Pedigree Chum and Bakers. (I hate all the additives and colours but she obviously doesnt! ). I got a small bag of each and then I went and bought some sardines in vegetable oil.

She has had 3 handfuls of dry food with a sardine and oil on top of it. I gave it to her in 2 lots as I didnt want to overload her stomach. She will not eat on her own. I am having to hand feed her, but at least something is going down.

Thank you all. I might think of a supplement if she continues to eat only a little. I will ask the vet about a B12 inj. I also bought some Butchers tins!

Thank you again. I hope this was just a phase. She has never been fussy about what she eats.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 01:28 PM
Also you could try tripe mixed in, mine love it and apparently it tempts the fussiest of dogs

Look in the freezers at one of the pet stores.

I hope it's nothing serious and that she gains the weight back and starts eating well again
Meganrose
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

15-04-2007, 08:03 PM
Just caught this, sorry to hear that Potter hasn't been feeding very well. Sounds as if LS's ideas have worked though All good ideas there. Do you think the recent warm/hot weather has been affecting her at all? I know some of our 'oldies' tend to go off their food (especially any that have been fed dry) when the weather turns hotter. Just a thought
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >