Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

18-04-2007, 10:16 AM

Wireless Encryption

This is for all those people who want to know how to encrypt your wireless signals from your routers.

The type of router this tutorial is based on is an Belkin other maufactures follow along the same lines as this so you'll just have to adpat what i have said to your own router (If you need help i will help you with it)

When you first login to your router go to the security where you would set up encryption.

Forst choose what type of encryption you want to use i'm using a 16 bit encrytion for this tutorial

As you can see in the above picture you can put in a passphrase (not all routers support this feature)

i put in DOGSEY and pressed generate and the result is below

as you can see it has generated a group of numbers and letters this is your encryption code even though it has generated 4 lines of letters and numbers you will only need one line pick what line you want and WRITE IT DOWNyou will need it.

When you have written it down you will have to apply the changes.

If you are wireless while doing this you will lose your connection with the router don't panic that’s supposed to happen it shows the you have encrypted your signal.

Right thats the router sorted now you have to sort out your laptop/ pc

go to the icon in your task bar that shows your wireless connection right click it then choose the properties tab then the wireless networks tab.

Then click on your connection then click remove then click OK. Tell your laptop/pc to find wireless connections if it finds more than yours click your one. It will try and connect it will ask you for the key to connect so input the code from the router that you wrote down in both fields and connect once it has connected thats it your all done with encrypted signal.

If anyone comes round and wants to use your connection you'll have to give them the code for it.