Our sister sites
Our sister sites
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 12:27 AM

Feeding Raw pork

Happy to see this section!

I've been feeding mostly raw for over a year now. I live rural Mexico so all of my meat is fresh from the farm. Good and bad in many ways, my question is about feeding pork.

I've read so much for and against feeding pork to your dogs. It just so happens that its one of the more plentiful meats I can get here on a regular basis, so I do feed pork, probably once or twice a week.

Recently I read something that gave me pause on feeding pork.. There is no such thing as "worming" stock down here. I freeze everything before I feed it, but I only have a regular freezer (attached to my fridge) it gets pretty cold, but not deep freeze cold. I read on another forum, Catsey, that the regular freezers don't freeze cold enough to kill Trichinoisis. This was just form one person, and he didn't have any evidence to back this up with, so I was wondering if any of you had heard that before? Do you feed pork to your dogs? Why or why not?

Thanks in advance!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 12:40 AM
Hi I know that in the UK (where I am) it is perfectly safe to feed raw pork to the dogs now. I'm not sure about Mexico. If you find no one can answer your question here you can search for 'britbarf' which is a yahoo forum dedicated to the topic of raw feeding and I know they will be able to help you.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 12:55 AM
I never feed pork at all. Had a welshie that suffered from pancriatitus, the vet said most pork is cured with salt and most dogs cant cope.
My dogs have the occasionaly piece of bacon thats all.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 01:58 AM
I would have thought that pork straight from the butchers is fine? it's with the bacon that I would worry about salt.
morganstar
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 02:16 AM
might be wrong but was told years ago that pork was injected with salt to preserve it and cure it.
Vodka Vixen
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 07:55 AM
I have always wondered this too, i read somewhere for breed specific feeding that pork was ok for Shar Pei's as its what they wouldve had in china, i have never actually given D raw pork as i always questioned it and have stuck with chicken, beef or lamb.

Would be good to hear from anyone who does feed pork but i see so far it seems to be avoided.

*Native food supplies included beets, sweet potato and other tuber type ground vegetables. Grains were rice, corn, and wheat. Meats were poultry, oxen and pork.*
Greyhawk
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Even though I feed raw I tend to avoid Pork. If I do feed it then it is frozen for approx 3 weeks in a deep freeze ( - 18 ). Even though the risk of the Pork having the parisite is very small, I personally won't take the risk and don't feed unless the meat has been properly frozen. JMO
Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 10:37 AM
I feed raw pork to mine, trotters and ribs.
Dawn.
muttzrule
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

22-02-2007, 10:00 PM
I rather doubt this pork has been cured. It was just slaughtered this morning. I haven't had any problems so far. I may look into buying a deep freezer in Guadalajara just to lay to rest all doubt.

By chance, does anyone know what a Trichinosis infection would look like in a dog?
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2007, 01:16 PM
Hi muttzrule, I have seen alot relating to your question on britbarf so it may well be worth a look
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >