Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

09-02-2007, 09:53 AM

WALKIES!! how far to go on a 1st walk?

Well after some inital confusion over Max's Jabs i took him today for his 2nd one and the vet as said on Sunday he can go out..
It seems the puppy jab he had before we got him will have given him some immunity combined with the last one he had 4 weeks ago. so todays was just a top-up to make sure he is fully protected. its all very confusing and with the laungage barrier as well hay ho!!

Any way what i'd like to now how far should i take him?

And how often?

Is it better to do 2/3 short walks or 1 really long one a day?

He's got bags of energy i'm sure you can appreiciate at 3 and a half months he's growing so quick we need to burn some of it off don't want a fat dog!!

I'm need of a bit of exercise too
Mahooli
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 10:04 AM
With very young pups it's usually 10 minute play/training sessions in new places a couple of times a day rather than a 'walk'.
Becky
Katie23
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 10:31 AM
i took millie out for a couple of 5/10 minute walks

atm - im stil unsure how long her walk should be to be honest - shes 15 weeks old and more intrested in playing and training that actually walking or evern runnning on her lead!
DobieGirl
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

09-02-2007, 11:30 AM
ten miutes I think is the right time. A lot of taking the pups to places and sitting around
Kath
Sadly Missed
Female 

09-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Mainly play and a short, short walk two or three times a day. Too much walking too often can lead to joint problems in later life. Remember that he still has "puppy" joints and muscles and these take time to develop. Gradually increase the time you walk over the next few weeks, by the time he is 9 months old he will be wanting plenty of exercise but do try to stop too much jumping. Kath
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

09-02-2007, 11:57 AM
the rule of thumb is 5 minutes per month of age. I used to take mine out at lunchtime for their 'walk' and then used to play with them and do lead training with them in the yard at home at tea time. Before they could actually go out properly I used to play with them in the day, and do lead training at tea time.
inkliveeva
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 09:31 AM
I have also did what Tawneywolf done and used the 5 min rule with mine.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 10:12 AM
when ben was tiny, i used to take him out *carrys* never put him down. but got him used to seeing new ppl and noises of traffic, and of course when he was old enough to go out he was fine with the *outside* used to take him over the field across the road. he loved it.
bens mum
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-02-2007, 10:14 AM
Originally Posted by bens mum View Post
when ben was tiny, i used to take him out *carrys* never put him down. but got him used to seeing new ppl and noises of traffic, and of course when he was old enough to go out he was fine with the *outside* used to take him over the field across the road. he loved it.
one day when we was going out *carrys* i looked around behind me and found i had 3 cats 1 behind each other LOL i looked like the doctor dolittle LOL
mj
Dogsey Senior
Female 

10-02-2007, 02:35 PM
thanks for that a short 15 minute stroll it is then just round the block then tomorrows the day! i'll let you know how we get on..
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >