Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jessica
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

25-11-2006, 11:05 PM

Photography at Shows

Hey,

We took Amber along to the breed show today and we noticed an awful lot of spectators, and other exhibitors around the ring taking pics of random dogs. I assumed that they knew the owners so had asked permission. But when we took Amber in we had people trying to take pictures of her too, both in the ring and outside!! No one asked if they could take a pic, they just took them Call me anti-social and "fussy" but i dont like people taking pictures of any of my dogs without permission, and once they've got the pics they're free to post them up anywhere on the internet which i dont like the idea of.

We tried to avoid people taking too many pics of Amber by moving her or standing infront of her. But can someone clear something up... Are you allowed to take pics of people's dogs without permission? I was sure i read somewhere that you weren't but cant find it To me, its bad manners to do that without permission anyway, but maybe if someone tries to do it again and there IS a rule saying you cant i will mention it to them!!

Jess
scorpio
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 12:37 AM
Hi Jess,
I recently posted a similar thread on the topic after I discovered my youngster was photographed and appearing on an overseas website.
I haven't learnt how to link threads yet but you can find it under my threads. It has some useful information but probably not what you would want to hear, I know I was shocked.
Patch
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 12:49 AM
I take lots of photos at agility shows but I always ask permission first, offer the dogs owner copies of pics I take of their dogs, and ask for permission to use them anywhere as well as saying where and what I would like to use them for, [ encouraging people to take up agility mainly, especially non-Border Collie owners who might think its a one breed hobby which it isnt at all ]

As I understand it, copyright belongs to the photographer and no permission is needed when taking photos in public places, [ though I might be wrong on that ], but either way I personally feel it morally and ethically wrong not to take the steps which I do when photographing other peoples dogs.
Azz
Administrator
Male 

26-11-2006, 03:26 AM
The way I understand it, people do not need permission to take pictures in public. However, although they can post them on websites etc, they cannot use them for commercial gain - so for example, they couldn't take 12 pics of your dog and create a calendar of it and sell it for profit.
pod
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 09:45 AM
Agree with Azz. you don't normally need permission to take photos but some Dog Show Societies have their own rules on this and it might be as well to check with them if you're concerned Jess, although it should be written in the schedule and catalogue if they do.

This is from the Manchester Dog Show Society schedule -

"Photography and Filming: The taking of photographs in the exhibition premises for sale or
reward is strictly prohibited except with the written permission of the Organisers. The Organisers
reserve the right at their absolute discretion to confiscate cameras and/or films for infringement of
this condition. There is no objection to the general public taking photographs or video film of
general views of the Show, provided that these are for private use only.
Specific dogs may be photographed only with the approval of the exhibitor. No photography or
filming is permitted in breed judging rings whilst judging is actually taking place. However, judges
may allow it to happen at the end of classes or after the Challenge Certificate is awarded."

http://www.highampress.co.uk/manc.pdf
cayugawolf
Dogsey Junior
Female 

26-11-2006, 11:17 PM
The way I understand it, people do not need permission to take pictures in public. However, although they can post them on websites etc, they cannot use them for commercial gain - so for example, they couldn't take 12 pics of your dog and create a calendar of it and sell it for profit.

Why can't the photographer use their own photos in any way they please? A well known company has had photos taken of dogs at Champ shows and then used them to produce items for sale sich as mugs and keyrings etc. One dog owner was unaware of her dog's photo being used for this purpose until she found itens being sold by a stall holder at a show.

Lynn
Kanikula
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-11-2006, 11:55 PM
this may help
http://www.londonfreelance.org/feesguide/phcoptxt.html
megan57collies
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

28-11-2006, 09:47 AM
Most of the champ and open shows now have it in the schedule that photographing your own dog is fine but not others without permission. These shows are held on private land but can be attended by the public. Exhibitors would know the rules but the general public wouldn't. If you have a problem in the ring with it, the steward is supposed to request it ceases. The only problem I had was a Crufts, very difficult to stop people.