Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2006, 01:43 PM

Thicko needs advice about WiFi computer

Hello,

Well I have eventually got my self a laptop, HP Sempron. The question is it has WiFi connection on it, do I need to have anything to allow it to connect to the internet?

Also I have Orange broadband, would I be able to tap into that account or would I need a dial up account.

The instructions are none existant, at least I can't find any yet.

Thanks

Ian
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 01:46 PM
Originally Posted by Hoggett View Post
Hello,

Well I have eventually got my self a laptop, HP Sempron. The question is it has WiFi connection on it, do I need to have anything to allow it to connect to the internet?

Also I have Orange broadband, would I be able to tap into that account or would I need a dial up account.

The instructions are none existant, at least I can't find any yet.

Thanks

Ian
Not sure what Wifi is Ian. Has it got a switch on the side to make it go wireless? Mine has a little switch on the right hand side. You will also need a ASDL router I think if you want to go wireless or if you don't want wireless you can just get a cable that you plug one end in the laptop and one end in the phone socket and then you can connect to your usual broadband
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2006, 01:49 PM
Hi Foxy,

Yes it has got a switch to turn it on or off, I think I might have to have a router, I don't know.

Ian
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 01:52 PM
Hi Foxy,

Yes it has got a switch to turn it on or off, I think I might have to have a router, I don't know.

Ian
Yes to go wireless I think you definitely need to get a router. You could always just plug it into the phone line though - I have seen the cables in Asda for about £3 odd.
Hoggett
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2006, 01:55 PM
Hi,

They have supplied a telephone line etc to use with it, but I won't be able to access my broadband that way, I think I might have to get a dial up account as well. I can always cancel it after I come out of hospital.

Ian
leo
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

12-10-2006, 02:30 PM
The telephone cable you got with your laptop is for the internal 56k modem and not used for broadband.

You need a new modem (wireless)that can broadcast a signal so that your laptop can receive it and connect you to the internet.

What you could do is try and search for a network that your neighbours have if they have wireless connections you'll be able to surf on there connection for free untill they encrypt their signal.
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

12-10-2006, 03:06 PM
orange broadband supply a wireless live box free of charge
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 04:08 PM
Hi,

They have supplied a telephone line etc to use with it, but I won't be able to access my broadband that way, I think I might have to get a dial up account as well. I can always cancel it after I come out of hospital.

Ian
Oh I think I know what you mean now - wanadoo provide a little modem thing a speedtouch thing that you plug in don't they. I have one upstairs that they sent me when I went on broadband - it looks a bit like a computer mouse and is a burgundy colour - yes I forgot you will need that and the disc to set your broadband up.
JoedeeUK
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 04:17 PM
You don't need a speedtouch type modem if you go wireless you need a wireless ADSL modem router I got a free one when I upgraded my landline contract

It's brilliant I can be anywhere in the house & garens & be on the net

BTW if I can set up & encrypt a Wlreless setup anyone can
Foxy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

12-10-2006, 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by JoedeeUK View Post
You don't need a speedtouch type modem if you go wireless you need a wireless ADSL modem router I got a free one when I upgraded my landline contract

It's brilliant I can be anywhere in the house & garens & be on the net

BTW if I can set up & encrypt a Wlreless setup anyone can
Yes I got a router - I didn't use my speedtouch thingy cos they are only for one computer and we wanted the two upstairs on wireless the only thing is the routers are quite expensive to buy about £80 I think for an ASDL one.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >