Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 06:18 PM

Ingrowing eyelashes?

I think Baku has ingrowing eyelashes on one eye, a few weeks ago his eye swelled up and I took him to the vet who said to wait and see if it goes down, it did but now its still not right it looks dry and there is a gap of no eyelashes, it doesn't bother him at all hence why I have not been particularly worried, am going to go back to the vet though but was wondering if I could be right or if maybe it is something else.

Thanks in advance
Nursey
Almost a Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 06:45 PM
This what you are describing

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=420

However, really you should be guided by your vet.

Dawn R.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

13-09-2006, 11:26 PM
Thank you Dawn, but now I dont think it is that he has none of the symptoms and so I am not sure Maybe it is just a scratch or something that is healing Gonna go to the vet and make sure though
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-09-2006, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Zuba View Post
I think Baku has ingrowing eyelashes on one eye, a few weeks ago his eye swelled up and I took him to the vet who said to wait and see if it goes down, it did but now its still not right it looks dry and there is a gap of no eyelashes, it doesn't bother him at all hence why I have not been particularly worried, am going to go back to the vet though but was wondering if I could be right or if maybe it is something else.
Thanks in advance

Hi Zuba best to keep a chek on it, it could be entropion which is treatable but can do damage to the eye if left untreated.

Distichiasis as Nursey mentioned it caused by extra hair growth in the eylashes, they rub on the eye causing irritation so the dog blinks more and the eye waters a lot, you often get tear streaks with this condition .

Entropion is caused by inturning of the eyelid/s.''
Entropion affects different breeds in different ways and one, two, three or all four lids may be involved. The inturned eyelid rubs on the cornea, the front window of the eye, and causes irritation, inflammation and pain and ultimately ulceration. Entropion is a condition which can be cured by surgery ''

...I used to trim a cocker that had entropion, she had a small operation which corrected the problem.

Entropion is hereditary and dogs diagnosed with this condition should not be bred from, the breeder of the dog should also be notified .
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Thanks Mini but do you think he could still have entropion even though there is no irritation, soreness, weeping, etc. It has no effect on him at all. I have tried to have a really good look but he rarely keeps still i dont know if this pic will help because I have a terrible camera.

Can you see there is a bald patch and it is really dry, I can touch it and he doesn't care?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

14-09-2006, 03:16 PM
Hi Zuba it is hard to say from the pic but it is not what I expected to see as indicated by your first post ...going by that picture alone it looks more like a bruise/injury scar/eczema? . I would keep an eye on it though..(forgive the pun) and get the vet to have a look if it doesn't improve.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

14-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha View Post
Hi Zuba it is hard to say from the pic but it is not what I expected to see as indicated by your first post ...going by that picture alone it looks more like a bruise/injury scar/eczema? . I would keep an eye on it though..(forgive the pun) and get the vet to have a look if it doesn't improve.
Thanks again, I too thought it was an injury because whether he cares to admit it Zuki's teeth are bigger than his and she tends to show him she's boss by putting his head in her mouth but because it is still there it makes me wonder, especially because his eyelashes are missing in that area He probably keeps knocking the scab off when playing with Zuki hence the reason its been there for so long, gonna make a trip to the vets just incase its infected or something Thanks for your help