Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 10:27 AM

Halti versus Harness....

Which is better?

Looking into getting a Halti because Zuki has forgotten all training and has started to pull on the short lead again, I think the problem is when we go for walkies she is on the long lead and has freedom, when we take her to the vets or such like on the short lead she pulls like mad, tried using the old puppy training tricks of keeping her attention with treats but she turns her nose up! I have had lots of suggestions one being the Halti, she already has a harness which does not seem to stop her from pulling, but it is new and she spends most of her time trying to chew at it
Muddiwarx
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 10:37 AM
I have never found a harness useful in teaching a dog not to pull - equally if there is a chance you may ever want to work yoru dog in harness I would npt use a no pull harness

Canny Collar is very good!!! More secure than the usual headcollars
Louise13
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 11:37 AM
Yes...

I agree with Julie.. Canny Collar is excellent..

Harnesses are pretty pointless if you want to work her in harness as they just lean into it and pull harder..

I have used a canny Collar on my Samoyed and Malamute.. they are more secure as they are a collar aswell...
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2006, 12:09 PM
Harnesses are pretty pointless if you want to work her in harness as they just lean into it and pull harder..
I use a harness with my particularly prone to pulling GSD and the difference was almost instant.

I think it depends on both the dog and the owner in question as to which is the best solution. Our dog, for example, ate through the halti, quite literally in minutes of getting it.

To suggest that all dog will automatically lean into a harness and pull harder is, I can promise you, innacurate.
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 12:21 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover
I think it depends on both the dog and the owner in question as to which is the best solution. Our dog, for example, ate through the halti, quite literally in minutes of getting it.
Funny you say that my OH just bought home the halti to try and Zuki took it off within seconds, we are taking it back, it was her size but seems too easy to get off because it only goes behind the ears.

She is new to the harness only got it the other day and she does not like it, will she get used to it?

The canny collar? Never heard of it? Where can I get one to try out?
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally Posted by Donna&Zuki
She is new to the harness only got it the other day and she does not like it, will she get used to it?
We were lucky in that Blondi seemed to just accept the harness from the moment it went on. Next to the Kong, it goes down as one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Is it as you are trying to put it on that your dog is objecting or as it's walking with it?
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 12:31 PM
Originally Posted by GSDLover
We were lucky in that Blondi seemed to just accept the harness from the moment it went on. Next to the Kong, it goes down as one of the best purchases I've ever made.

Is it as you are trying to put it on that your dog is objecting or as it's walking with it?
Its when we put it on, she goes loopy for five minutes after, then calms down, but I have noticed her trying to chew it. being the fact she is on season we have not walked her outside with it yet, I am dreading it actually, i can just imagine having this twisty turny loopy dog on the end of the lead

You have a kong? we have had two, both buried in the back yard somewhere, her treat ball was our best purchase so far, we fill it with natures menu mini treats, she is playing with it now actually. I think she got bored of the kongs because she couldn't distroy them
MazY
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

10-08-2006, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by Donna&Zuki
Its when we put it on, she goes loopy for five minutes after, then calms down, but I have noticed her trying to chew it. being the fact she is on season we have not walked her outside with it yet, I am dreading it actually, i can just imagine having this twisty turny loopy dog on the end of the lead
Ah, season time! We're in the same boat. I've lovingly nicknamed Blondi as "drip-dry" at the moment, for obvious though rather distasteful reasons.

The frustrating part is that she was really progressing in her walk training and the pulling was so much reduced. Now she's going to have extremely limited exposure to walking for a few weeks.

Speaking personally, I would put it on her, let her do her loopy five-minutes, completely ignoring her as she does it. When she calms down, just go for it. With me, Blondi was fine with it. With my partner, she tried, as you suggest, to grab at it. But that passed after a few minutes, as my partner just kept walking forwards. Dogs, as good as they are, can't defy gravity!
huskadie
Dogsey Junior
Female 

10-08-2006, 01:23 PM
donna,did you get the halti link aswell as the actual halti?the link attaches to the halti and the dogs collar so even if she gets the halti off you are still attached to her collar-they cost about £1.50
Zuba
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

10-08-2006, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by huskadie
donna,did you get the halti link aswell as the actual halti?the link attaches to the halti and the dogs collar so even if she gets the halti off you are still attached to her collar-they cost about £1.50
No I didn't even know there was such a thing

I shall look out for one
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >