View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 09:01 AM

Spooky behaviour - or just very bright? (learning by watching others in training?)

Has anyone else come across this phenomenon...

I train dog number 2 (Jaz) in obedience to a higher level than the others (have competition next month), because he loves to please, whereas the terrier chooses when to listen, and the pup doesn't have a long attention span (although she is getting better).

I have taught Jaz lots of tricks, including more longer, complicated routines. I spend individual time with each and last night I was working with Prinz the terrier, just going over stuff he knows and trying to get him to learn something new. I noticed last time that he could do the 'turn around' easily, but I was sure I hadn't taught him 'now go the other way' and he goes anti-clockwise... I thought I must have forgotten that I taught him how to do it.
Anyway, last night I thought I might teach him the 'take a bow' which is difficult as he is already so close to the floor!! He just did it. I swear, I swear i have not taught him that, and he did it about five or six times perfectly, my head was spinning. It took me a while to teach Jaz, I remember he kept lying down and this is when i started using the clicker for more complicated things where he was getting confused.
The others all watch through the kitchen doors when I am training, could it be that he saw me teach it and learned himself???
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 09:26 AM
He's been watching you through the door I think What a clever little dog Good Boy Prinz

How do you teach take a bow? i dont have a clicker. I have taught toby to crawl (mainly when a treat is involved )
Trouble
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

06-09-2006, 09:26 AM
I never taught my jack russell any tricks ever, but he copied and mimicked every trick I had taught my Boxer and did them perfectly every time.
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 09:39 AM
really? wow I thought it was me going mad!! That really is something special, i need to research this further. I will be teaching jaz some more tricks and see if little prinz can replicate. Nuts!

I am crappy at explaining how to teach tricks, best to show someone...

Basically the problems that i encountered was that jaz would follow my hand for the treats and not 'think' about what manoeuvre he just performed. So first thing was to take away the treats for smell and sight and get him to concentrate on me. The other thing to note is that they say that if the dog gets into position himself without you putting him there with your own hands, then he should learn this quicker...
Anyway, start by teaching the dog 'stand' which should be easy.
Once the dog is in the stand position, put your hand to the floor and he should follow, (so much easier on laminate as they just slide) even if he puts his head down to start with you praise (or click) and work on it that way until he gradually brings his legs down. It will help if you put your hand under his stomach to keep his back legs up. Once he does this 20 times without a word (although you praise and treat each one) you can put the word in like 'bow' or whatever while you continue to point your hand down (should be different than the down sign). Then of course after 20 more times you can stop using your hand and just say the word and he should do it.

Told you I am crappy at explaining, I might be great at training dogs, but not so with people!!!
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 09:55 AM
Great stuff, Prinz is a clever lad
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:12 AM
thanks werewolf, but it begs the question, do we want clever dogs?
Prinz is known as the 'evil one' (not by me he is my first and fav. and has me wrapped around his little paw). He was in classes at 10 weeks old and we did really well. Then he hit 6 months and started to question me. 'why do i have to do that?' 'what do i get out of this?'.
But then Terriers are obviously bred to be independent.
I speak to my dogs all the time, and without meaning to be big headed they understand alot of what i say, even if it is only picking things up from my sentences 'let's go see mum and dad' they all go mad knowing a trip out to my parents is coming. I firmly believe you can bring the best out of your dog by talking to them from a young age and getting them to understand 'human' (as well as 'dog'). For me it is easier to work with a 'dumb' dog who doesn't question you, and understands that when you say something they do it. Prinz seems to think he has options, and so his life isn't as great as he has to walk on an extended lead around the road, whereas the other two are free. Not that he doesn't understand 'wait to cross' or 'leave' but he chooses to ignore me, instead chasing the cat who has crossed our path, again, the others will look to me instead. This type of dog while clever, is not an ideal pet for the average person. He would most be suited to farm life where he gets to make choices about chasing the cats or killing the mice...which of course is what he was bred for. Unfortunately for him I couldn't bare to part with him, so he is stuck on the end of a long line (unless we are away from roads).
'Dumb' dogs make better pets! (and i use the word in the nicest sense, as obviously my other two are not dumb, they just don't make up their own minds!)
werewolf
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:30 AM
Jess by nature of the breed our two always question 'well why should I do that?' 'what will I get out of doing that?' etc, we think it is great

But I know what you mean sometimes it would be nice if they did as they were 'requested' without thinking about it!
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:39 AM
Thanks Jess, I understood your training tips just fine
jess
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:47 AM
dogs for you huh

Thanks toby, best of luck for teaching your terrier!