Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-08-2006, 10:51 PM

Please help!

As you probably all know i rescued a 4 year old staffie on sunday. I brought her home and other than her not eating much she is settling in really well. I took her to the vets yesterday to have her booster and to be wormed and fleaed, they also gave her a course of antibiotics because she has an infection in her foot. Anyway, although i rescued her through the east anglian staffie rescue she was still living with her owners, who said she needed a new home because he is in the army and he is being posted out to Cyprus at short notice. I went to see her at a rescue volenteers house and decided i`d take her home. All the paperwork was signed on both sides. Ive just recieved a call from the secretary of the staffie rescue saying the previous owner wants her dog back, they have tried to explain that its all done and dusted but apparently she is now saying that she is getting the police involved. Can anyone tell me where i stand here please?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

03-08-2006, 11:08 PM
Hi Sara, oh dear what did the paper work say? If the dog was signed over to the rescue and then signed to you I would have thought this was a contract and binding ?
Vicki
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 05:31 AM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Hi Sara, oh dear what did the paper work say? If the dog was signed over to the rescue and then signed to you I would have thought this was a contract and binding ?
I agree with Mini - check the paperwork carefully honey - it should be binding if all is in order. Good luck.
Toby
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 08:09 AM
I agree with the others, if you have signed a contract then you sould be ok. Good luck to you. Anyway i wouldn't give her back, i don't expect the police would want to get involved as you have gone through an official rescue.
Hannah
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 08:11 AM
What a nightmare hope its all sorted out soon!
Brundog
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 08:31 AM
as far as I know if its an official rescue and a contract was signed by both parties then it would be legal and binding.

I doubt that the police would get involved.
Check your paperwork. It should say on both contracts that ultimately the staffie actually belongs to staffie rescue once its signed over - thus if you decided you couldnt keep her - the dog would have to go back to staffie rescue - so the same rules should apply.

Hope for you that everything gets sorted out
scotbun1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 08:42 AM
this is a capy of our forms
TRANSFER OF OWNERSHIP

I/We the undersigned being the lawful owners/agents do hereby declare that I/we give without reservations the Dog/Bitch named ______________ to the Staffordshire Bull terrier rescue.
Further I/we declare that the animal is of sound temperament and is not subject to a court order for destruction or that legal proceedings are pending.

I/We also declare that as from the date of this agreement I/we forgo all rights of ownership and understand that the SBTR may do with the dog/bitch as they see fit.

I/We declare that I/we are the legal owners of the dog/bitch and will indemnify you and keep indemnified you estate against all claims and demands made by others in regard to the dog/bitch. Alternatively I/we warrant that I/we have the authority if the owner of the dog/bitch to give such and confirmation indemnify as herein before mentioned.

This agreement being signed and witnessed in _____________________(Date)

YOU CANNOT GET THE ANIMAL BACK AFTER THE AGGREEMENT HAS BEEN SIGNED
Hope things work out for you
Tracie
Naomi
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 09:43 AM
I doubt very much that the police will get involved as it would probably be classed as a civil matter.

She will have a battle on her hands and as she has signed the dog over then there really is no going back.
Inca
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 09:47 AM
I Would Imagine That If He Has Been Signed Over To The Rescue Then All Rights From He Previous Owner Are Gone
Sara1210
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

04-08-2006, 09:54 AM
Thanks everyone, apparently the woman is a bit of a lunatic. You have all put my mind at ease, now all i can do is sit and wait. This is the first time ive rescued a dog so as you can understand it has worried me quite abit. I feel like a criminal. It feels like ive gone out and pinched someones dog. Anyway thanks all, really appreciated.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >