View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 07:40 PM

how to get excellent recall - even with chasing rabbits!

does anyone have any advice on how to get the perfect recall, even with the distraction of rabbits? or is it just not possible?

Not only Indie, but many other dogs i know, have a good recall, but if they see a rabbit, they are gone and u dont see them again til they have lost the rabbit. No response to recall or anything.

whats the best solution to this?
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 07:54 PM
Have the same problem with my rescue, but I thought that was because he'd never even seen a rabbit until he came to us. I normally just let him go on the chase as there's no point whatsoever of calling or trying to get him back, until he's arrived at the spot, realised they've all disappeared, and only then can I get a response. Sometimes, he's not interested in coming back to us, so I use the other type of call, i.e. the nicey nice, something exciting type of voice and then start running the other way, to which he promptly picks up his ball and runs back over to us. He actually caught one the other week!!!! Luckily he had killed it instantly but he wasn't going to give it up to my o/h either, it was his prize! He gave it up to me though without too much fuss, but since then, he goes on his flexi lead when we get near the rabbits coz I can't go through all that again. My other dog starts to chase them, but as soon as I call her she stops and comes back to me - don't ask me why though!! Hopefully someone might have some good advice for you Jenny, coz I need it too with my George!
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 08:23 PM
There are rabbits everywhere where we live (forest and heath land) don't ask me about recall when they see a rabbit because Takoda tries to chase the flippin things when he is still in the car To be honest if the area is safe (middle of the forest...out in the middle of no where) I let them chase them. There are that many rabbits here that it would drive them nuts to be kept on lead around them because there isn't a place here without them. If you go out at dusk you could almost trip over them there are so many. Incidently they have only ever caught 3 max...All mixy rabbits and that was because they ended up just sitting there so they picked the poor things up and err brought them to me and dropped them.
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 08:44 PM
heh heh you have a TERRIER ! ok staffies may not be quite as prey driven as some terriers but,,,,,my jack russell is very laid back- until I say the word- BUNNIES, she goes NUTS-howling, yowling, slavering- its quite amazing her recall is normally 99%-except where rabbits are concerned then she goes deaf so shes always on her extended lead when we go bunny hunting....
Zetacharlie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 09:00 PM
recall ???whas that ?????? as alice says in her adventures in wonderland- "down the rabbit hole"
basi
Dogsey Senior
Female 

06-09-2006, 09:06 PM
Sounds familiar Zetacharlie!
Both mine do the same when anything furry or come to think of it anything that will run they will chase and no amount of calling or whistling will bring them back until they have either lost it or god forbid caught it, but then they are a hound doing what they are bred to do!
Jenny234
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 09:57 PM
ah... so its a lost cause then...

my parents dog is always running off after something, usually birds and rabbits and they dont see him again for a long time. he ran over a busy main road the other day, half a mile from where they were.

they have bought one of them citronella collars... i doubt it will work mind
Ripsnorterthe2nd
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

06-09-2006, 10:31 PM
It will be possible, but it would take a lot of time and to be honest I'm not entirely sure the best way to go about it.

Personally, being a gundog owner, I'd try a complete stop first rather than recall as it'll be easier to enforce and go from there. The way I'd do it is to teach the dog the "sit" whistle (1 long blow) then teach it at short distances to begin with in a place with minimal distractions. Slowly (and I mean slowly! ) increase the distance until the dog is reliable enough to introduce distractions.

You can also do the same with recall by teaching the dog the recall whistle signal (3 short pips or multiple short pips on the whistle depending on your preference) again do it in a place wih minimal distractions and slowly increase the distance and then add distractions.

Once the dog is reliable sitting at the stop whistle, you can then start recalling it. Normally you'd teach recall first and then stop, but this way round might suit you better.

That's the only thing I can think of, sorry I couldn't be more help really!
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

07-09-2006, 01:08 PM
Sometimes..... and only sometimes.... if I see the rabbits first and say to Georgie "no" firmly, he squashes back his ears and sulks but stays alongside us Then, norty Cassie will take off after them,swiftly followed by Georgie, and then she will stop and come back to me, knowing it might get him into trouble!!! I've got that dog measured up!!!
Flipper
Dogsey Senior
Female 

07-09-2006, 05:52 PM
DogStopper

http://www.poochschool.com/shopping.htm#DogStopper

Ive been using it for over 10 years now and it works as long as you do exactly what it says, the site says the on line store is closed but I think you can still get stuff from them (PM me if your seriously interested and Ill see what I can do).
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >