Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 08:05 PM

A cure for dogs who chase bikes!

Okay Suki (five month old Dobie) has a pathalogical hatred for bikes - be it little kiddies on three wheels right up to motorbikes however today I think she's been cured.

We were on our walk today (a long one to help her forget about the fun digging up the garden can be and the fact her Daddy has left her for the first time to go to the TT) and I took her to one of the local country walks.

It was a beautiful day so the place was mobbed. A couple of bikes went past and she did her usual mad scramble, barking and so on. Then as we approached the clearing in the woods there must have been about 20 bikes circling the clearing. She took one look and decided to go the other way - no barking or pulling!

Anyway further on our walk a few passed us and there was no barking, a bit of pulling but nothing much. Then the 20 bikes came towards us. She very quickly moved aside sat down calm as you like and let them pass. Suki finally met her match!

Do you think she has been cured forever - well we'll try again tomorrow and see!
Emm
Dogsey Veteran

31-05-2006, 10:45 PM
awh Suki is such a cutie
trikeschick
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-05-2006, 11:05 PM
you wouldn't have said that if you'd seen her dig a big hole in the garden today. Although she is cuddled up beside me just now - see she does love her mummy just as much as her Daddy!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-05-2006, 11:10 PM
Hi trikeschick a number of dogs seem to chase bikes because they are 'chasable moving objects' and it's fun I guess.

I think some dogs don't understand what they are so treat them with suspicion, as with anything that gets this reaction in a puppy it is helpful to let the dog get close to have a look and a sniff at it's own speed so that it can be reassured there is nothing to fear. If you get the chance speak to someone on a bicycle and get them to stop a few feet away then let Suki walk up to the bike if she is willing to but don't force her too. Let her sniff then treat and praise.
tink
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 12:56 PM
Nahhh- (bet shes just pretending !!!!) LOL
Alfie will chase anything that goes at a speed,seems to be in his nature,he doesn't bark,just loves to chase and run !!!!!
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-06-2006, 01:17 PM
Takara runs behind joggers with her nose up their bum

She's not been too fussed about bikes since I got her to sniff a parked one! I agree with Mini's advice, go up to the bike yourself, so that she can see you're ok with it and she'll probably be happier to go up to it (that's what I did) but don't force her!

You watch tomorrow she'll be chasing them all over again!