View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-05-2006, 08:57 AM

Strange marks on her back... (Dalmatian rash?)

Takara's had these for a while but at first I thought she'd just nibbled herself and made it sore, but they've not gone away.

They're like little red patches, they look like they're under the hair (obvious because of white hair) but there are no scabs and the skin looks normal underneath the hair...

She looks really sore and dirty and I can't work out what it is. Could it be secondary spotting? Even though it's red rather than brown, and it doesn't look 'spotty' or could it be a skin complaint even though the skin looks normal?

I'm totally mystified

I will get her to the vets if nobody's sure but I wanted to make sure it wasn't anything normal before I take her (they are getting fed up of seeing me now! I'm a worrier!)

Thanks
Shadowboxer
Fondly Remembered
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-05-2006, 10:44 AM
Could it be an allergic reaction to something? Are the spots causing irritation? If she has had them for a while and you are worrying then perhaps you should get a vet opinion.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2006, 06:11 AM
Thanks they're not bothering her in the slightest - just me! She looks mucky no matter how much I bath her!

She has had them a while so I am going to get her booked into the vets but as dals get secondary spotting I wasn't sure if it could be that.

Thanks!
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Without seeing it it's difficult to be sure but my best guess would be that it is Dally rash. Normally affects adolescent Dals, nothing will shift it, some vets prescribe steroids or anti biotics but they don't do much apart from giving you a bill.
Deccy has it in his head and neck although it is going gradually. The hair drops out eventually leaving the coat moth eaten but it WILL go away eventually. Don't shampoo her too often, dab on some dilute Dettol every day, there is a shampoo called Malaseb that only vets can supply which will speed up the healing process (can't get it in Ireland ) DON'T be tempted to pick or scratch it!!!!!
Sometimes it can be triggered by too much protein in the diet so make sure it is less than 22% if you feed complete.
Hope this helps.
Lottie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

26-05-2006, 07:06 AM
Thanks Deccy,

As yet there's nothing to scratch it's just the colour but if it develops at least I will know!

Thanks again, and I'm lowering the protein in her diet anyway so that might help by the sounds of things...