View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 02:35 PM

Mouthers - anyone else have a dog that gently nibbles or gently takes hands in mouth?

Does anyone lse have a dog that mouths you, you know holds your arm hand in his/her mouth no pressure exerted, and never a mark left almost like holding hands I suppose

My Tess does it not all the time but when she's tired or sitting quietly or if she gets really excited by something and thinks she should have my attention. She does it to no one else but me and stops when told so no harm I just wondered - if your dog mouths and why you think they do.

Karen
Carole
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2005, 02:38 PM
Star does it when she is playing with you she also nibbles gently. I have no idea why she does it though
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 02:39 PM
I sometimes think its down to reassurace but I don;t know for certain. Tess occasionaly nibble too but never a mark left
Snorri the Priest
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

31-07-2005, 02:40 PM
My Kali used to do that when he was little. Why? Because he's an idiot!

Snorri
Kazz
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 02:42 PM
When did you meet my Tess then Snorri that sums her up perfectly. Idiot
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Takoda always play bit our hands, Keena did too, both while they had puppy teeth...ouch at those needle sharp little things!

Now they have their big teeth they nouth each other like they always have done and sometimes they still do it to us but it is much different to when they were babies they just take our hands and have them in their mouth but don't clamp down or hurt...Keena doesn't do it very much at all now but Kody still does quite alot.

We don't mind cuz it doesn't hurt anymore and isn't aggressive from them. I prefer that to what I got the other day when playing with Kody...I was laying down and we were having a rough and tumble and he raised off his front feet and then back down again with one massive paw of a 35kg puppy straight in my eye, I thought it was going to be black but lucky it wasn't cuz I got ice on it quick smart. That so hurt though!

So mouthing gently...I don't mind at all If it was too rough and they hadn't learnt what pressure is ok to apply then I would stop it right away, but they know how hard is acceptable before it hurts.
zero
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 02:45 PM
I think it's just them having contact with you, they use their mouths like hands after all, so it is just something to get a hold of you with I reakon
bluemerle lover
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 03:10 PM
cheyanneanne will sit there and mouth me and while doing this falls asleep its so funny to see
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

31-07-2005, 03:44 PM
I think it is an extention of the behaviour they learn/exhibit in the litter grooming/nibbling/mouthing each others tails and paws, part play part reassurance . Amy used to grab clothing when excited, cuffs/skirt hem or trouser bottoms.
deefin
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

31-07-2005, 03:46 PM
tyson does it all the time with everyone but me ! me he just follwes everywhere and cries if i leave him .. topaz nibbles my bum when im on the sofa thats her askin for a cuddle
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >