Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

02-03-2006, 11:04 PM

Anti-licking suggestions?

Where the vet shaved Loki's leg for his blood test, Loki has licked it so much that it's become inflamed.

I've tried everything - salt water, tea tree cream, savlon and even a bandage which he chewed off .
Any other suggestions? It is looking very red now.
Will it heal when the hair grows back?
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

02-03-2006, 11:34 PM
Hi LS it could have turned into a 'hot spot'', it starts off when something irritates the skin and the dog keeps licking and won't leave it alone ..I think the treatment is to keep it dry also try to distract Loki from licking at much as possible..not easy I know.
Phill
Dogsey Junior
Male 

02-03-2006, 11:58 PM
Hello, you can get a spray that you spray on your dog to stop them chewing them self, i can not rememder what it was called but you can get it from pet at home, it did not work for my dog but it saidsit works on 99.99% of dog or your money back.
shadowboy
Dogsey Senior
Female 

03-03-2006, 02:09 AM
My vet gave me a cream called Variton quite awhile ago and it has a horrid taste so it discouraged licking but also has ingredients in it that promote healing. If you look it up on the internet you may find a distributor near you.
Christine
Dogsey Veteran

03-03-2006, 06:51 AM
I`ve used calendular/hypericum cream with great success on Sweep when her skin reacted to being shaved
Stephanie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

03-03-2006, 10:38 AM
when Murphy's legs were shaved for his op's, I put on aloe vera gel after to stop the itching and this in turn stopped Murphy from wanting to lick the shaved areas