Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-10-2005, 08:21 PM

I've now got a dual boot PC!

A guy at work and myself have been looking at a couple of Linux distros recently and I decided to get hold of a copy of SimplyMEPIS 3.3.1. My PC now has a Windows 98 SE partition and a Mepis partition!

The disk is a 'live' disk, in that you can put it in your CDROM drive and boot up a working version of Linux. The fun starts when you click the 'install me' icon and start messing about partitioning your hard drive, getting messages saying you could loose the lot!

Even though it's supposed to be the easiest distro at the moment, I'm still gonna have to do some tinkering to get on the interweb and get the printer working etc. Having said that, Mrs. C bought a memory stick thing recently, which Win98 refuses to have anything to do with, but Mepis sees it no probs!
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-10-2005, 08:42 PM
Not often you see someone posting about something working in Linux and not Windows... It must be posessed

I moved to FreeBSD from Linux about 18 months ago and have never looked back. Linux is probably easier to get your teeth into though.

The files to set up your interweb will be somewhere in /etc. It's usually reasonably straightforward; especially if you're using dhcp

Graeme
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-10-2005, 09:02 PM
The interweb thing is more of a problem with me using usb to connect to my adsl router. Seems I need an ethernet card or spend ages struggling to get Linux to see the router using usb...

tis spooky about the flash drive though innit?
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

26-10-2005, 09:10 PM
Ethernet card is probably easier... You can get one on ebay for £2-3 so it doesn't exactly break the bank If you get one, get a 'known' brand, Intel Pro's are your best bet. Although I used 3com and netgear cards without any problem.

If your key works it might not be too hard to get it up and running via USB

Graeme
royv
Dogsey Senior
Male 

26-10-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally Posted by rich c
Having said that, Mrs. C bought a memory stick thing recently, which Win98 refuses to have anything to do with, but Mepis sees it no probs!
Windows 98SE usually needs drivers to see USB devices. Can you get drivers from the manufacturer's web site ?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-10-2005, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by royv
Windows 98SE usually needs drivers to see USB devices. Can you get drivers from the manufacturer's web site ?
Yup! And a 'fix' from M$ but still no joy. I was messing around for ages! I'd expect that from Linux, but not from M$! It was a lucky coincidence that I was tinkering with Linux and Mrs. C got a flash drive eh?
rich c
Almost a Veteran
Male 

26-10-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally Posted by Graeme
Ethernet card is probably easier... You can get one on ebay for £2-3 so it doesn't exactly break the bank If you get one, get a 'known' brand, Intel Pro's are your best bet. Although I used 3com and netgear cards without any problem.

If your key works it might not be too hard to get it up and running via USB

Graeme
Thanks for the tips on what ones to get. I've done a bit of research on getting the USB connection to work and everyone seems to imply the kind of people who try to get it working are the sort who get their jollies being tied up and given a sound spanking, if you see what I mean...
Graeme
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the tips on what ones to get. I've done a bit of research on getting the USB connection to work and everyone seems to imply the kind of people who try to get it working are the sort who get their jollies being tied up and given a sound spanking, if you see what I mean...
That's the Linux community for ya!

Graeme
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

27-10-2005, 07:47 AM
The interweb thing is more of a problem with me using usb to connect to my adsl router. Seems I need an ethernet card or spend ages struggling to get Linux to see the router using usb...

tis spooky about the flash drive though innit?
http://www.usbman.com/Drivers%20and%20Patches.htm

i know the problem with that patch for win98se looked for ages to find one i did in the end but this is a usfull site for the patches

or http://members.driverguide.com/
Mel
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

27-10-2005, 08:39 AM
Hubby and I have had dual boot PC's for a while now ..we both quite like Linux and it seemed the right way to go
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >