Our sister sites
Chilli-Pepper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2005, 03:01 PM

opinions requested.

anyone see these??

www.omlet.co.uk

and if so what do you think, I am looking at getting chickens and was looking at a more traditional house/run as they will mostly be out in the garden 'running free' during the day but what do you think?? is this just another funky gimmick or is it more practical the wooden houses for nightime.

:smt035
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2005, 04:20 PM
Opinion you asked for so that what you get!!

We used to keep hens at home...a flock of about 50 in a huge shed + free range (they had a couple of fields to roam in but never went far.)

I think these things are a bit bizarre...
not sure I like them...
ok they have a 'cute' factor but looking at practicalities.....
hens feel the heat, I think a tiny plastic igloo could get very hot, also hens don't always get on with each other... in a tiny igloo there is no escape from the pecking beak of a nasty companion
ellenlouise
Dogsey Senior
Female 

01-09-2005, 04:41 PM
Extremly expensive for what it is especially with delivery charge!
Jackie
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

01-09-2005, 04:43 PM
A friend of mine has one ..... she loves it..you get 2 chickens ....they lay 2 eggs a day....... she moves the whole thing around her garden...every week, so it does not ruin her grass.......she does not have a large garden......and it is fox proof....... so they say, she has had hers for about 6 months......

She says the eggs are lovely........
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-09-2005, 07:42 PM
Was going to say are they fox proof,not sure about them wondering if they are big enough,suppose it depends on how many chickens you intend to keep,looks like the kids might enjoy it though (if you have any)
Chilli-Pepper
Dogsey Junior
Female 

01-09-2005, 08:27 PM
thanks for your responses, always good to hear different views,

Zantababy, according to the info given they are supossed to be fox proof?? :smt102 and only ment for holding only 2 chickens, yes I think my daughter would deffinately go for a pink one!! would love to have a flock as much as 50+ but sadly don't have the room

:smt035
Deccy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 08:44 PM
I had chickens in Essex and although not an expert, I gathered that they like to be part of a flock and really six is a better number to have as the "hierarchy" and their society would work properly then.
I bought a starter kit from Red House in Suffolk, a traditional arc type house for them with perches to roost and nesting boxes to lay eggs in, surrounded by panels of wood and chicken wire that could be slotted together and made to fit almost any shape, and the whole lot was moved as soon as they cleared the weeds where they were!
I looked at these "coops" and didn't like them. Unnatural, in my opinion, so bound to end in tears Traditional systems have worked for decades so if it aint broke.......... matches are primative and they still work
I found that the local foxes left them alone as long as they were secure in their coop at dusk, although we ran a line of barbed wire along the tops and bottoms of the panels as a deterrent. The biggest threat was from spotty Polly, who decided that the canine version of Kentucky FC had finally arrived on her doorstep!

Gill
Miss Potter
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-09-2005, 09:05 PM
I think they are great looking! I used to have chickens. You could always let them out into the garden in the late afternoon and they will take themselves off to bed when it gets dark.
Fred
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

01-09-2005, 09:13 PM
Originally Posted by Minihaha
Opinion you asked for so that what you get!!

We used to keep hens at home...a flock of about 50 in a huge shed + free range (they had a couple of fields to roam in but never went far.)

I think these things are a bit bizarre...
not sure I like them...
ok they have a 'cute' factor but looking at practicalities.....
hens feel the heat, I think a tiny plastic igloo could get very hot, also hens don't always get on with each other... in a tiny igloo there is no escape from the pecking beak of a nasty companion
Mini i agree with you i have allways known them to be free i wouldn`t have those plastic things even if i was paid for it
Lynn
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Gold Supporter 

02-09-2005, 01:49 PM
Afraid i must agree with Fred and Mini I think they look great but would stick to traditional chicken coops if i had the room to keep them,my mum and dad use to keep chickens and say there is nothing like a nice free range egg or chicken come to that (will you eat them) ?.Are they very expensive if not if your daughter likes the pink one can she have one as a play tunnell,or is that too extravagant.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >