Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
lisalou
New Member!
Female 

24-10-2005, 07:16 AM

Help with crate training

At the moment we´re crate training our pup and it´s not going too well. I introduced him to the crate and he was happy to get in and out of it. Then I would encourage him to go in closed the door and stayed with him, just as the books say etc etc. At night he would sleep in the crate in our bedroom with the door open, quite happily. As soon as the door is closed he´s not a happy pup. Right now I´m training him to be in there with the door locked. He barks and whines incessantly.

My question is for those who have crate trained, how long did it take for the pup to become accustomed to the crate and stop barking/whining, if in fact they did that initially whilst in the crate? Really I don´t particularly like crate training but have done a lot of reading on it and have decided that it´s a solution for us when we´re out. I study part time so the most he would be on his own is around 2.5hours but we definitely need a solution.
Louie
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

24-10-2005, 08:20 AM
Could you cover the crate, you can buy crate covers or just use a blanket, i would just continue closing the door and try to ignore the crying as much as possible. As long as you are sure he doesn,t need the toilet and is comfortable, could you try keeping the crate downstairs, he might not cry for as long if he knows you are not right next to him.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2005, 09:31 AM
Hi Lisalou did you read the link I posted yesterday to the article section on DW and the article by Shadowboxer on crate training ?

If you do want to put puppy in the crate with the door shut it is a good idea to do so after he has been fed and had a play, that way he will be more likely to settle down..put him in quietly without fuss..with a 'safe toy' and an item of clothing that you have worn. Start by doing this for a few moments at a time ignoring him no word/no eye contact but still around where he can see you, ignore the crying and only speak or praise when he is quiet.

Do this three or four times a day for a few moments at a time only going to open the door when he is quiet. As he gets used to the crate gradually build up the time he is in there eventually leaving the room..as he gets used to it he should go to sleep in there if he has been fed and excercised first.
lisalou
New Member!
Female 

24-10-2005, 09:40 AM
Yes I did read the article. I put in an old tee-shirt in there with him and each time he goes in the crate it´s after a walk. The times have been built up gradually. I had him in the crate this morning, upstairs whilst I was there but he just barked and whined continually. I gave him some water, took him out for a walk, he did his business and now I´m trying him in it downstairs and being very quiet up here so he thinks I´m not home. He barked and whined for the first 5 minutes but now it´s nice and quiet and has been for the last half hour so I´m figuring that he´s fallen asleep down there. After lunch, a walk and a play he´ll go back in. I´m guessing that he´s tired himself out soo much that he´s just given in to the sleep. I´m hoping that this is the beginning of a positive pattern for us now.
colliecrazy1
Dogsey Senior
Female 

24-10-2005, 01:41 PM
Molly is 12wks and We in the end had To Just put her in and Just Close the Door,
And Just take No Notice of her Noise!! She Did Eventuly Settle Down, and We are @ the stage We can Put her in the Crate and Just Go out Shopping and She is a sleep when we get back...But Just Try Hiding some Food in the Crate we Found that that Worked really Well With Meg, and Now we are a Happy Pup.
Julie
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

24-10-2005, 01:59 PM
Originally Posted by colliecrazy1
Molly is 12wks and We in the end had To Just put her in and Just Close the Door,
And Just take No Notice of her Noise!! She Did Eventuly Settle Down, and We are @ the stage We can Put her in the Crate and Just Go out Shopping and She is a sleep when we get back...But Just Try Hiding some Food in the Crate we Found that that Worked really Well With Meg, and Now we are a Happy Pup.
Julie
Colliecrazy yes hiding tipbits in there is a good idea as is a kong
it makes the crate a 'fun thing' for the dog so it associates the crate with pleasure
lisalou
New Member!
Female 

24-10-2005, 02:03 PM
Well he´s been in the crate 3 times today, the last two times he´s been downstairs and I´ve been creeping about upstairs pretending not to be in. He barked and whined for the first 5-10 mins and then settled down and had naps of 1hr 45mins and 1hr 20mins so I´m hoping he´s getting used to it now. I lure him in with a treat and then leave him a one or two in the crate with him but surprisingly he doesn't always eat them. I ordered a puppy kong for him yesterday so I´m hoping that will keep him occupied in the crate.

I´ve just taken him out for a walk and put him back in the crate, he's been in there perhaps 3 mins and is still barking. I´m hoping it stops like it did on the previous 2 successful ocassions today!