Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-04-2016, 10:23 PM

Online photo storage warning

I used to store some, not all, photos on a photo storage site called "Imageshack" which used to have free storage. That has now gone into a paid service so i have scratched that off my computer.

Just goes to show you should never ever rely on photo storage sites alone because they can all do the same if they want to and you have lost all your pictures.

Needless to say I store my photos on a backup seperate hard drive and again on DVD disks. Those "special" I do a hard copy of anyway on my printer
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

29-04-2016, 10:36 PM
I had some on image shack as well, and found out a while ago that I could only access thumbnails. Like you I store my piccies on memory stick, backed up by an external hard drive
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2016, 10:38 PM
Oooo I never thought of copyi g them to a hard drive...I will buy a spare when I get some money
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

29-04-2016, 11:04 PM
You could use google drive, it's free and all you need is a gmail address. My son told my mum and my daughter about it. My mum stored practically all her computer on it before moving abroad. All her university work, photos and all her stories that she's written ect. Might be a thought.
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-04-2016, 11:11 PM
Grifff
external hard drives are not that expensive . A 500GB hard drive from Currys cost around Ģ35 mark which should be plenty big enough. Looking up it should hold about 60,000 average size pictures
tumbleweed
Dogsey Veteran
Male 

29-04-2016, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Mandyuk1 View Post
You could use google drive, it's free and all you need is a gmail address. My son told my mum and my daughter about it. My mum stored practically all her computer on it before moving abroad. All her university work, photos and all her stories that she's written ect. Might be a thought.

And what happens if Google drive starts charging? they might well do. I would strongly advise backing up on a external hard drive at the very least. Worse no internet connection? you are well stuffed, up the creek without a paddle as they say.
Even a router can cause problems from time to time.

For about Ģ35 you have peace of mind as I already said about before
griff
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-04-2016, 11:49 AM
thanks Tumbleweed, will pop it on my list of things i need to buy (spent an awful lot in the vets recently) will put it near the top of the list
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

30-04-2016, 12:56 PM
If I take piccies from my phone they automatically store themselves on gmail as well. I was looking to store files on there as a back up, but there doesn't seem to be a storage system like there is on my email provider where you can create files etc. Shame because I would have used that as a back up as well as a hard drive, wondering how your mum stored stuff Mandy as I couldn't work that one out at all and I did look to do it.
Mandyuk1
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

01-05-2016, 06:29 AM
Originally Posted by tawneywolf View Post
If I take piccies from my phone they automatically store themselves on gmail as well. I was looking to store files on there as a back up, but there doesn't seem to be a storage system like there is on my email provider where you can create files etc. Shame because I would have used that as a back up as well as a hard drive, wondering how your mum stored stuff Mandy as I couldn't work that one out at all and I did look to do it.
My brother did it for her and Liam does it, when he wakes up I will ask him as I'm not sure
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

01-05-2016, 09:19 AM
Had another look to see if anything had changed, but can't make head or tail of gmail really, it has its own unique challenges shall we say