View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 12:00 PM

Hand Stripping/remove a bit every week or wait till long?

For Mini or Borderdawn....

All the wires I have met, that are pets and not show dogs, are really really fluffy and scruffy. I think people normally let the coat get very blown before sending their wire to the groomer.

The thing is, I hate how they look when you don't hs for a long time, and I like to keep Archie looking nice and neat, especially in summer.

What I do is I take a bit off every week, and he looks ok most of the time. His hair is a lot longer than a show wire but I don't mind it like that.

Is it ok to do this? Or do I need to let his har grow before handstripping? He usually has a bit of blown coat evey week, which is what I take off.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 12:05 PM
This is what he looks like most of the time... I haven't quite got the face right yet but I'm learning

Borderdawn
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 12:19 PM
Yes Tuti its fine to do that, he looks very respectable and tidy. The body looks good enough to show there, they do need a good harsh covering, its their head and ears that are quite short. I think he looks fine, you are doing a great job! :smt023
Dawn.
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 12:23 PM
Thank you Dawn I was just wondering if maybe you need to let the coat die fully before you take it off... I do try to only take off the long dead bits but sometimes more comes off He doesn't mind though.

The ears are a bit fluffy there, I stripped his ears a bit the other day and unfortunately left a couple of baldy spots which will probably take ages to grow back! Poor Archie lol
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

20-09-2005, 01:50 PM
Sorry Tuti no time for long post but yes it is fine to do bits and keep it tidy, also if you scrape with knife and chalk as I said before this keeps the fluffy undercoat down and the wire on top so Archie will never look fluffy
ooee
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

20-09-2005, 02:52 PM
Thanks Mini

Yep he has barely any undercoat at the moment cos it's been warm, but I'll probably let him get a bit fluffy in winter or he might get cold