Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-04-2014, 06:50 AM

Just Peeking In.

Bud poking his nose in the homemade cat door.

Howdy all! It's been a busy week or so since I last popped in. I had a friend of the owner stop by for a night while bringing his new boat North from Vancouver BC to Prince Rupert BC. So, before anyone showed up I had to do a "Spring Cleaning" of the property. Down at the wharf it was mostly picking up and bagging the 10's of thousands of pop cans, beer cans, water bottles, wine and liquor bottles, and assorted garbage. (Left behind by years of boaters who expected the previous caretaker to burn or bury the crap, I suppose.) Up at the cabin, it was picking up the hundreds of pieces of kindling that Bud stole and dragged off for a chew while I was splitting wood. Until the snow melted I hadn't realized just how many pieces of wood he snuck away with and left scattered everywhere on the grass! Monkey!

After the cleanup, and after my visitors left, I decided to change the position of the outboard on my canoe from the very back, to a side mount. MUCH better! Now I don't have to jam myself into, or perch on the stern to start the outboard, and it's a LOT easier to control the throttle when it's right in your hand, rather than 3 feet behind you! lol! And well, I decided to name the canoe. It is now officially, "The Thing". And it looks like a thing too! As in; "What in the heck IS that thing!" lol!

The Thing.

If anyone is wonderin' about the "wings" on the canoe; that's to stop the splash from the pontoons from getting into the canoe. (Which it did to the tune of a few liters (A gallon) every five minutes before I added the aluminum mesh "wings".) And the big pole sticking out over the canoe is my skookum camera boom arm. Not gonna tell ya what skookum means! Ya gotta look it up!

I'm just a' champin' at the bit to take it out for a test run with the new motor mount, but it's been a wee bit damp out these last few days. (ie: rained 4 inches or 100 mm today.) You'd almost think I lived in a rainforest or something! Oh wait; I DO live in a rainforest!

Can't wait for another day like this one just before I changed the motor mount.

Anyhoo, that's all for now, and I'll say chow for now. (Say bye, guys!)

Cheers!
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

08-04-2014, 07:16 AM
H Cory good to see you all ...
Anniebee
Almost a Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 08:14 AM
I love your updates and long for that life!
Lacey10
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 08:23 AM
Isn't a Skookum similar to a Sasquash?
Love that first pic of Bud,he has gorgeous eyes,or eye in that pic
Was watching a movie last night and thought of you Its called The Edge( Anthony Hopkins)location and scenery looks very like your home and it's all bears,living off the land etc.Have only watched part of it so far,must get back to it later
Gorgeous pics,really love your updates
TJCeeJay
Dogsey Junior
Male 

08-04-2014, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by Lacey10 View Post
Isn't a Skookum similar to a Sasquash?
Love that first pic of Bud,he has gorgeous eyes,or eye in that pic
Was watching a movie last night and thought of you Its called The Edge( Anthony Hopkins)location and scenery looks very like your home and it's all bears,living off the land etc.Have only watched part of it so far,must get back to it later
Gorgeous pics,really love your updates

Thanky! I love Bud's eyes too. They are almost human. And it's weird, but when we're out at night and I shine my headlamp on him his eyeshine will either be golden, or a really intense ice blue. Don't know how that works, but it's neat. Even during the day sometimes his eyes look blue. Kinda cool. Strange, but cool.

And I'll give ya guys a break. Skookum up here in Northern BC means "super strong" or "extremely tough and solid" or "heavy duty" or "big and burly" or, or, or, you get the idea!

I actually haven't seen The Edge yet. Gonna have to see if I can find it next time I'm in "civilization". If you like The Edge, then I suggest you try and find Alone in the Wilderness, by Bob Swerer. It's about gentleman (Dick Proenneke) who at 50 decided to go live alone in the bush in Alaska for the rest of his life. It is an excellent movie. (As is "Alone in the Wilderness 2", "Alaska; Silence and Solitude", and "The Frozen North".) All are about Proenneke and his adventures in his little piece of heaven.

He wasn't my inspiration for coming out to live alone in my little piece of heaven, but he IS an inspiration. My inspiration to live out here stems from my exposure to the TV show "The Beachcombers" at a very early age. (Like, 5 years old.) Because of that show, ever since I was just a munchkin I lusted after my very own piece of the West Coast of Canada. And now I have it!

Thanks all!

Cheers!
Moyra
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 09:50 AM
I love catching up with your latest exploits. What a wonderful life, Your dog is so like my Amber who is now on a strict diet! Stay safe and happy!
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

08-04-2014, 01:01 PM
Bud poking his nose in the homemade cat door.
Love it! Pic of the day! And aren't you useful then? MAKING a cat flap!

Just looked at the others and read your update. Glad you are keeping us in the loop here. I love to read about it. And yes, your dog has the loveliest expression.