Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
kyoung513
New Member!
Female 

17-02-2014, 06:30 AM

I want to start biking with my 1yr/old Husky

I want to start jogging my Siberian Husky with my bike. I have researched the Springer, Bike Tow Leash, WalkyDog, CycleLeash, Sunlite, WoofCycle, and Buddy Leash Connector.

What do you all recommend? Any awesome ones I'm missing? Are any of them bad?

What kind of dogs to you cycle with? How long do you run for?

What's the worst experience you have had / seen with biking dogs?

Lots of questions but I want to make sure I am safely exercising Ramsey
tawneywolf
Female  Gold Supporter 

17-02-2014, 10:35 AM
I go biking with mine and I use the walky dog.
However.....your dog is still too young to be doing that sort of stuff, leave it another year till the skeleton has finished growing as you can cause a lot of damage and even cripple your dog permanently.
Whilst you are waiting to you could get your dog used to being near bikes and walking alongside your bike whilst you push it.
Helena54
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

17-02-2014, 01:29 PM
I agree with Tawneywolf there, your dog is very young to strap to a bike, which in essense means he will have to continue at YOUR pace instead of his own.

I used to mountain bike with my dog when she was about 18 months or maybe 2 years old, but she was always offlead, I pedalled slowly I stopped and waited for her to catch up, it was all very relaxed, and I was never out for more than 40 mins at a time because of course, you cover a lot more ground on a bike even at a gentle pace.

My dog is a gsd, so again, a big boned dog, who doesn't mature fully until 2 1/2 years old, and it's vital that you don't overtire, or put a strain on undeveloped bones and joints at the tender age of 12 months, whilst everything is still developing. If your dog continues when tired, that is when it becomes dangerous, so when you hook him up to a bike, how would you know when he is nearing the point of exhaustion, because you just wouldn't, he would probably want to go on forever. When free running, the dog stops or lays down when it's had enough, takes a rest and moves on again, that's why I always had my puppies offlead too, so that they could go at their own pace.

It's not so important in smaller dogs, but with big dogs, you have to bide your time and take things slowly until maturity if you don't want a lifetime of problems during their adult years.

That's my take on it, and if you want to enjoy many happy painfree years for your dog, then if I were you I'd wait before you get into 5th gear. Why not spend more time with training, that will tire him out far more than any running about, and when he's old enough to go jogging or biking with you, then you have a dog who will stop on a sixpence on command either up front or alongside, and you will find, once you've got a well trained dog, you won't need to tie anything to that bike, unless you're on the road of course, he'll just jog alongside you, and that's wonderful! and well worth the wait.
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

17-02-2014, 06:01 PM
my pup will be 1 in june and then we begin bikejor (google it) he will join my 4 year old, we already do walking in a full rig and they are learning the commands for bikejor, later in the year i will be getting a pawtrekker scooter and we will begin dog scootering, your breed husky are born to do this.
I have spaniels who love to pull and a lurcher and terrier who refuse to pull.
Enjoy.
kyoung513
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2014, 12:23 AM
Thanks for all the great advice!

tawneywolf and Helena54, thank you for the insight! I guess I will hold off for another year... That is a great point about his growth and putting too much strain on him before he is fully developed. I would try free running him but unfortunately in the city, even in parks and trails, there are enforced leash laws and too many bikers to chance him getting distracted (as his breed does :P) and causing someone to wreck while he's learning. I should really get a bit out of Columbus to try it though. Ramsey would have a blast free running with me!

astle9, YES I have looked into bike joring/urban mushing. Unfortunately I have not found it prevalent in Columbus, Ohio..
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-02-2014, 08:27 AM
I have very mixed feelings about bike riders and dogs, and I own both. it worries me when I see someone rush by on a mountain bike followed by an exhausted dog. The dog is so focused on keeping up with its owner that he never has time to rest or slow down.

One summer's day I remember seeing a young woman racing past me on her bike, along a long flat bridle path. Running behind her by quite some distance was an overweight black lab who was clearly struggling to keep up and was foaming at the mouth with saliva. Well 10 minutes later the woman had obviously turned around was making the same journey back with the lab in even more distress. I shouted to her that the dog needs a rest and a drink, she laughed and said not to worry he will get a drink at the end of the trail. I wondered if that dog ever made it to the end of the trail.
Malka
Dogsey Veteran
Female  Diamond Supporter 

18-02-2014, 08:48 AM
When you do eventually take him out biking, please always take water and a bowl for him. When my dog goes out she is securely attacked to my scooter and I alternate short burst of speed [which she loves] and a dead slow walk, always with a rest to offer her water if she wants.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Originally Posted by Malka View Post
When you do eventually take him out biking, please always take water and a bowl for him. I alternate short burst of speed [which she loves] and a dead slow walk, always with a rest to offer her water if she wants.
Very wise Malka
astle9
Dogsey Senior
Male 

18-02-2014, 03:35 PM
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
I have very mixed feelings about bike riders and dogs, and I own both. it worries me when I see someone rush by on a mountain bike followed by an exhausted dog. The dog is so focused on keeping up with its owner that he never has time to rest or slow down.

One summer's day I remember seeing a young woman racing past me on her bike, along a long flat bridle path. Running behind her by quite some distance was an overweight black lab who was clearly struggling to keep up and was foaming at the mouth with saliva. Well 10 minutes later the woman had obviously turned around was making the same journey back with the lab in even more distress. I shouted to her that the dog needs a rest and a drink, she laughed and said not to worry he will get a drink at the end of the trail. I wondered if that dog ever made it to the end of the trail.
That is why you only do these things when your dogs are already exceptionally fit and you are looking for a way to enhance or further that fitness plus i would never cycle my dogs on a summers day unless it was every early am or very late, my dogs would control the pace as they will be in front of me be it bike or scooter and hydration is always at hand.
kyoung513
New Member!
Female 

18-02-2014, 05:48 PM
Apache, I understand your concerns. That is why everyone who cycles with their dog should talk with their veterinarian first. Being a husky, Ramsey is a VERY high energy dog and needs more than me just running with him at a much slower pace than he wants to go. He needs a job and a challenge (in a safe and healthy way of course)

Also I definitely agree with everyone on the water accessibility while running. Those collapsible bowls have always been awesome when I jog!
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >