View our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 04:38 AM

Treats, chews, flavored toys, bones... (Picky dog owners please!!)

So... what does your dog like best to play with or gnaw on?

Jade won't touch anything and I'm trying to find her something that she likes that's not easily eaten up in two seconds.

She hates rawhide, anything made of plastic or rubber, pork hide. I got her a large Rawhide bone a while ago and she hated it... but Nigredo loved it!

She loves tuna and other fish as treats, so I got her a salmon skin bone by Snack21 thinking she'd like it and guess what happened to it....

Man that thing stunk to high hell!! She HATED it, tried to leave the room and everything (I don't blame her).

I've tried several toys, and even more bones and chews. Hates them all. Won't touch anything raw either, so no raw bones or anything.

Hates peanut butter as well. She eats treats, and pretty much anything else. She's on kibble and her teeth are perfect, she crunches with ease. It's just that she hates these things.

I'm at my wits end, she doesn't like any of this stuff. Nigredo has gotten everything I've bought for her, because she just hates it. I know it would be fine for her just not to have it if she doesn't like it, but I was hoping she'd enjoy at least something!

She HATES the smell of rubber so I KNOW a Kong would be a waste of time, even if I put yummy treats inside, she'd hate the smell/texture of the Kong so bad she'd not even try to deal with it. However, it's the only thing I haven't really tried yet I admit.

What does your finicky dog like to chew on/play with? I'll try anything at this point. Thanks for input!
coventrycatfish
Dogsey Senior
Female 

30-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Have you tried stuffed hooves? Guinness is picky about rawhide, will not touch a Kong, and doesn't show much interest in toys that he can't tear to bits in minutes. He loves stuffed hooves though.

Warning: They can be a bit smelly, it depends what is in the stuffing.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 10:09 AM
Bella recently almost choked on a bit of rawhide. I spotted her outside sort of 'silently retching' no noise or choking sounds. I got her under my arm and managed to get my finger in and 'hook it out' it was over an inch long and probably half that width and semi softened (not still hard and dry). I think it was a bit from one of the 'knots' that the hide chew bones have on their ends.

Never had any problems like this with them before but I ain't taking any chances so they are now OUT.

I'd already stopped giving her rawhide stuff as I suspected it might be 'fattening' and I think she got this one or part of one out of her toy bag (she hides stuff in there) or even from behind a cushion or one of her other hidey holes.

It was when looking up whether they were fattening that I read a lot of stuff about them that I did not like at all so, as I said, they are now out for good. She gets either kibble type biscuit treats or raw bones now.

I've removed the Kong from play while she is 'dieting' too as she is just too fast at getting anything out of it even if it is frozen.

If Jade doesn't like treats I don't see it as a problem for her not to have them.

What I've been doing for Bella recently is to chuck a few bits of kibble into an empty plastic water bottle and leaving her to work out how to get them out - keeps her occupied she chases it all over, shakes it and the bottles only last about two uses coz she flattens and squashes and destroys them!
Darcy Boy
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Toffee.

Chews; Rawhide. Tripe chews (only in the garden as they stink.) Nibbles; soft toys.

Treats; cheese, sausages, any meat. Bakers Bacon Strips.

Toys; balls, soft toys, anything that is pinched.
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Hi, thanks everyone. She hates everything. I'll try the hoof thing, if I can find it as I have never seen one before.

Also, Tangutica, when Brownie was young... he almost choked on a rawhide as well. Softened it up and tried to swallow it whole. My brother had to do a Heimlich on him!! But he had them as an adult and this never happened.
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 01:27 PM
Can you get antlers over there?
Here they come in stuffed and 'natural' - might be worth a try
Lucky Star
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 01:29 PM
Have you tried antlers; for example, Stagbar Antlers?
BlueJay
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 01:33 PM
Oh! Or maybe a big ice lolly made from meat juices? My gang love ice cubes even made from just water
Not sure how long that would last in your sun lol
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Originally Posted by BlueJay View Post
Oh! Or maybe a big ice lolly made from meat juices? My gang love ice cubes even made from just water
Not sure how long that would last in your sun lol
I'd think it would last about 2 seconds in our 85 degree weather
mjfromga
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

30-05-2013, 02:02 PM
I looked for the antlers. Hard to find here in America!

I checked Amazon and the antler I saw was $17.00 without shipping! I don't think I can buy a $17.00 treat that she may end up hating. I simply don't have money to waste...
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >