Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
sscocoaw
New Member!
Male 

18-03-2013, 10:44 PM

I need help and advice...

First of all please dont come at me with disrespect...

I recently adopted a 1 1/2 year old chihuahua mix from the humane society. I got her 2 months ago.
I have had dogs my entire life living with my parents. We've had two huskies and two lhasa apsos. Ive had dogs in my life for 95% of my life.
I recently purchased my own condo, about a year and a half ago, and always felt like I missed the companionship of having a dog. A year and a half later I finally decided I was settled in enough to go ahead and do it. I work in a seasonal job which gives me the winters off.
I rescued, cocoa is her name, during my time off period in January. She is a great dog, has some (alot) separation anxiety, and I love her so much. Shes trained, but can be more trained, and Im working on it.
I recently had to return to work. I work 8-9 months out of the year about 50-60 hours a week. I leave at 630 am and dont come home till sometimes almost 7 at night. I cant come home to let her out and keep her company.
I feel like this is too long of a time to leave a dog alone all day long, I feel like I owe her soo much more, and theres nothing I can do about it.
Lately Ive been feeling like she would be happier elsewhere with a family that will always have someone around most of the time. But on the flip side, shes like velcro, when Im home or with other people she loves to be where ever I am.
I live alone, and have nobody that can come and visit and let her out. I cant afford a dog sitter. I dont know what to do.
I dont want to give her up, but I feel so bad for her and how long she is alone. I sometimes think my only option is to find her another home, but she hates being without me, and I know I would feel so guilty and horrible for giving her up.
I understand I made a commitment to her when I adopted her, but with my job situation I just cant give her the time during the week that this pack animal needs.
Im lost as to what to do.
Any advice would be great, and please dont bash me on how horrible of a person I am for even thinking these thoughts.
Im asking for advice and insight, because I want to make the right decision.
Timber-
Almost a Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 12:07 AM
Are there any older kids or students you can trust in your building that could let her out mid day? They might help you out at a cheaper rate then a dog walking company. Just a thought.

How about family and friends, any close enough to either stop by or Coco be dropped off at their home?
sscocoaw
New Member!
Male 

19-03-2013, 12:20 AM
No I literally have nobody. Family is an hour away, friends are 30 minutes and cannot make it over during working hours.
I have no one to help. This is not the best building to trust people in either, Im friendly with my neighbor but she works 30 minutes away.
miz66
Dogsey Senior
Female 

19-03-2013, 12:42 AM
Hi you say about your neighbour, could she not pop in before 7pm say 5pm or even pop in before she leaves for work clutching at straws here but anything to help you, I know there is dog day care in the states could you not send your dog there a couple of times a week? Or do you have any older neighbours who are retired that would look after your dog even for a morning or afternoon?
sscocoaw
New Member!
Male 

19-03-2013, 02:27 AM
I know and Ive thought of that as well, but thats a burden for her, lots of times I would see her in the morning and she would be rushing because she was late for work. And sometimes I notice she gets home after I do. I feel like if I asked her that I would ask her for too much and put too much responsibility on something she shouldnt have to alter her life for. I couldnt ask her for that.
Theres a doggie day care, but they dont open early enough and they close to early as well.
I have an older neighbor that lives alone upstairs with her cat, and Ive asked her before and she told me should can barely make it around anymore.

Ive really thought of any idea I can think of but nothing seems to help.
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 07:24 AM
I'm not bashing for you thinking of rehoming your dog. But you say
A year and a half later I finally decided I was settled in enough to go ahead and do it. I work in a seasonal job which gives me the winters off.
You didn't rush into getting a dog but you surely knew you would soon be working long hours for most months of the year, have no one to help out and have to leave her alone?

Most UK rescues will not let people adopt dogs if they are going to leave them alone for long periods while they work - some insist on no longer than 4 hrs. More than 12 hours a day is a long time.

I suppose more than anything it comes across to me that you aren't really enjoying having your dog now because you are feeling so guilty about leaving her. Is she showing signs of distress? If not and she seems happy left alone at home and happy when you get back I suppose you can just carry on as you are? And in the meantime keep putting the word out that you need someone to walk your dog in the middle of the day?

You say any advice would be welcome but the only advice I can think of anyone giving is either to agree you should rehome her where she will have company or to find someone to come and let her out and walk her (and you've made it clear that option is impossible)
polly7
Dogsey Junior
Female 

19-03-2013, 07:28 AM
i don't think you are having horrid thoughts. I think you have been placed in a position that is intolerable but you are trying your best to sort it for the sake of your dog.
This shows how much you care for her.
Are there any school children nearby who would like to earn a little bit of cash each week for calling in to her at lunchtime and taking her for a walk after school. Naturally you would want to do this with them at weekends for a while until you are 100% certain your dog & yourself is happy with this person. Maybe a small add in a newspaper. There must be many people sitting at home all day bored but maybe for personal reasons they are unable to have a dog of their own, perhaps they are in rented and it isn't allowed. They would love to befirend your dog.

I have just realised from reading your post again that you have only had her 2 months. Has your work position changed as I'm a little surprised that the dog rescue allowed her to be rehomed to someone working such long hours. Have you had a word with them about it and asked what their thoughts are, maybe they have a solution?
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

19-03-2013, 07:40 AM
That's a good idea Polly. Maybe the Rescue can suggest someone who could help out? OP has said she wouldn't trust anyone from her neighbourhood, I'm sure people who volunteer at an animal shelter are in the main good people. And most of them are part timers and might have the time to do it.
Apache
Dogsey Senior
Male 

19-03-2013, 11:28 AM
Dog walking services are really popular in the US, can you not find one near you, to at least break up the day, maybe 30 mins in the morning/afternoons? That shouldn't cost too much if you can find one that's reliable.
sscocoaw
New Member!
Male 

19-03-2013, 09:22 PM
No my work situation hasnt changed too much... Its a job that can be 10 hours one day and close to 13 the next. I wasnt planning on coming back to this job this year, but things didnt work out like I thought. I would do anything rather then put her back to the humane society.

She seems so scared when I leave for the day, and when I get home after 12 hours she seems to be having a panic attack...like its extreme how excited she gets and it scares me. The last time I got home after just a 10 hour day her whining and panting when I got home sounded like she was almost choking herself. Its like she is freaking out and I do not understand and I feel terrible for leaving her alone soo long. Youre right, Im not really enjoying having her because I feel horrible for leaving her alone so long. She doesnt deserve that.
But also part of me thinks that she will eventually get used to it? I just started back at work this week. She hasnt had any accidents in the house while Im gone, but I noticed she doesnt eat any of her food or drink any water. But after I come home she drinks and eats like shes dehydrated and starving.
I really should try for a dog walker, but like I said I cant afford that. I also dont like the idea of relying on schoolchildren.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >