Our sister sites
Our sister sites
Our sister sites
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-02-2013, 04:29 PM

Growling/Barking at puppy...opinions??

Our 11 week old Lab/retriever cross is VERY persistent about wanting to nip / chew on us. She seems to be a fairly aggressive (not timid) dog.

We've tried ALL the suggested responses such as getting up and walking away , distracting her with toys/treats , yipping , using the "No Bite" command etc. etc. and rewarding her when she behaves herself with a pet/tummy rub , play time etc.None work and if they do , only for a short period of time before she's back at it.

We've only had her a little over a week and she has come such a long way in so many other areas we're really quit impressed.It's the persistent nipping and trying to chew on us , and even though she doesn't mean to , her sharp milk teeth do sometimes draw blood.

It's not really nice in the morning when she enthusiastically greets us yet we have to start reprimanded her first thing for excitedly nipping us.I'd much rather be able to greet her in a friendly manner.

I watched a video of a trainer using this technique where he acted like the big dog and growled when the puppies got too rough. They backed right off yet came right to him when he called so they weren't afraid , just respectful.

It's not something I would use as a training aid , just something I'd consider out of desperation , either that or a 60 lb Pit Bull as a playmate.

Thoughts?? Suggestions??
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2013, 06:06 PM
Originally Posted by BeerHunter View Post
It's the persistent nipping and trying to chew on us , and even though she doesn't mean to , her sharp milk teeth do sometimes draw blood.
What makes you think she doesn't mean to? I think she knows exactly what she is doing. I would try to preempt the behaviour - not allow it to develop. So, first thing in the morning I would have a filled Kong ready and give it to her before letting her get to me. Or sprinkle kibble on the floor to give her something to concentrate on. Or have a nice tuggy toy ready to 'ram' in her mouth.

She sounds like she has to much energy and is far more persistent than you. You can use 'removal' - simply take her out of the room as soon as she starts on you -attach a house line to her collar if necessary. Wait till she calms down, then let her back in. If she starts again out with her. Repeat until she no longer wants to mouth, chew on you. Be more determined than she is. And you will win.

After all she is only a young pup and you are an intelligent, rational human being..
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2013, 06:58 PM
I tried EVERY method when Bella the biting min pin was a baby. Boy you should have heard me growling and barking at her! I was waiting for my neighbours to complain!
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2013, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by Tangutica View Post
I tried EVERY method when Bella the biting min pin was a baby. Boy you should have heard me growling and barking at her! I was waiting for my neighbours to complain!
Did it work? And how long did you have to growl and bark before she got the message?
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-02-2013, 07:22 PM
I'm pretty sure she's not drawing blood intentionally as most of the "scars" are of our own doing (pulling hand out of mouth).

And she's not 11 weeks , only 9..my mistake.

For the most part she's very well behaved for her age and responds to voice commands most of the time. It's just that she's persistent.

As far as exercise goes , I could easily walk her 1/2 mile as many times per day as I wanted. We live on a rural acreage with wild life corridors on each side of us so she has plenty of room , even in the yard , to romp.

Will try the distraction mentioned and see if that works..but will it SOLVE the problem?
muddymoodymoo
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2013, 07:56 PM
And she's not 11 weeks , only 9..my mistake.

For the most part she's very well behaved for her age and responds to voice commands most of the time. It's just that she's persistent.
Then she keeps proving how bright she is and you need to convince her that you are brighter and more persistent.

Will try the distraction mentioned and see if that works..but will it SOLVE the problem?
Which distraction? The Kong and food? Yes, it will work as long as you are prepared every single time, until she starts looking for the distraction rather than your hand, slipper, leg etc. Also use the removal from the room, again, every single time she transgresses. I am sure she will get the message very quickly but she will keep on trying the behaviour that is probably a lot of fun for her and also to test your resolve. Dogs can be very trying.

Too often people give up too quickly and dogs take advantage of that.
JulieSS
Dogsey Senior
Female 

23-02-2013, 08:16 PM
Dogs are good at training people, that's just the way it is.

Her behaviour has got nothing to do with aggression. She is finding her feet in the house and testing limits and rules, and you need to stick to the rules and not giver her an inch (not in a mean way).

As for growling to the dog, some dogs care and others don't. Personally I think: whatever works, but WORKS means it has to work there and then - not when you are shouting from the top of your lungs before the dog is listening.
Meg
Supervisor
Female  Diamond Supporter 

23-02-2013, 08:34 PM
Our 11 week old Lab/retriever cross is VERY persistent about wanting to nip / chew on us. She seems to be a fairly aggressive (not timid) dog.

We've tried ALL the suggested responses such as getting up and walking away , distracting her with toys/treats , yipping , using the "No Bite" command etc. etc. and rewarding her when she behaves herself with a pet/tummy rub , play time etc.None work and if they do , only for a short period of time before she's back at it.

We've only had her a little over a week and she has come such a long way in so many other areas we're really quit impressed.It's the persistent nipping and trying to chew on us , and even though she doesn't mean to , her sharp milk teeth do sometimes draw blood.

It's not really nice in the morning when she enthusiastically greets us yet we have to start reprimanded her first thing for excitedly nipping us.I'd much rather be able to greet her in a friendly manner.

I watched a video of a trainer using this technique where he acted like the big dog and growled when the puppies got too rough. They backed right off yet came right to him when he called so they weren't afraid , just respectful.

It's not something I would use as a training aid , just something I'd consider out of desperation , either that or a 60 lb Pit Bull as a playmate.

Thoughts?? Suggestions??
Hi Colin please don't take this as criticism there is none intended but I am afraid it takes weeks not days to train a puppy, you have had your puppy for one week and she will not even have had time to settle in and feel at home in this time.

Patience, time and persistence is the key to teaching a puppy .

Teaching Bite Inhibition by the APDT...
http://www.apdt.co.uk/content/files/...biting_000.pdf
Tang
Dogsey Veteran
Female 

23-02-2013, 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by muddymoodymoo View Post
Did it work? And how long did you have to growl and bark before she got the message?
As I said I tried EVERYTHING! I switched to the NOBITING command and the total ignoring her when she did it. Take hand away, cross arms and look at the ceiling or wherever.

Thing about the growling and barking back at her - yes - it did stop her at the time but it didn't stop her doing it again and again. I wanted her to stop doing it not just stop if I started growling and barking like a loony!

For the barking, I put her outside, over and over again until she got the message but she DID get the message!

She soon stopped being the barking biting puppy from hell - can't remember how long it took. Couldn't have been that long or I am sure I would remember! She now never bites and only 'barks' when she needs something and has a variety of different barks depending what she needs!
BeerHunter
Dogsey Junior
Male 

23-02-2013, 09:25 PM
I realize she's VERY young and has barely settled in with us and I'm quit pleased with the progress we've made in other areas with her in teaching her the "rules of the road" by simply using our voice.

Guess the only concern right now is her getting overly excited sometimes and nipping as I've seen first hand what this can lead to and don't want to go there.

Wont bother with the "growling" and thanks for all the tips.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >